Vegetable Beet chop – Bengali style Beetroot cutlets
Vegetable chop or Bhejitable chop is a popular street frood from The city of joy- Kolkata. Vegetable chop is a version of making cutlets . Beet ,carrot and raisins gives a mild sweet touch to the chops which makes it different then the others cutlets and chops.
The mashed beets, carrots and potatoes are shaped into chops and then dipped in cornflour or maida/ refined flour slury or you can also use gram flour batter if you want to avoid using corn flour or refined flour. Then the chops are rolled in dry breadcrumbs before deep frying. Traditionally the chops are deep fried but you can flatten them and shallow fry for a low fat version.
I love Bengali cuisine and tried learning recipes from a Bengali neighbor of mine who is an expert cook. I leaned so many curry and sancks from Her. The popular bengali sweet – Rasmalai which I also learned from my friend.
For making these vegetable chops I have grated the raw beet and carrots and then saute them in little oil till they are done but you can also boil or steam the chopped vegetables and mash them for a quicker version.
Do Try These Bengali Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 300 gm Beetroot / Chukandar 2 medium size
- 150 gms Carrot / Gajar 2 medium
- 3 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 2.5 tbsp Peanuts / Moongphali
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat Masala
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Bhaja Masala
- Peel and grate beetroot, carrot and keep aside
- Peel and grate the boiled potato
- Heat oil in a wide pan and add the peanuts and roast on low flame till they turn golden in colour and then remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Now add cumin and green chilies in the same pan and when cumin start crackling and become golden then add the grated beets and carrots.
- Stir fry the beet and carrot for a minute and then cover with a lid and cook on low heat till they become soft.
- Add raisins in the mixture and take out the mixture and spread in a plate to cool down completely.
- When it cool down then add the grated potato all the remaining spices ,roasted peanuts and 3 tbsp of bread crumbs and mix well.
- In a bowl take 5 tbsp of cornflour,pinch salt ,pepper powder and add water to make a medium thick slury .
- Make medium size balls from the mixture and make oval shape cutlets or any shape of your choice and keep aside.
- Spread dried bread crumbs in a plate .
- Now add cooking oil in a heavy bottom wide pan .
- Dip the vegetable chops in the slury and then roll in the dried crumbs(if you have time then you can make and keep the cutlets in the refrigerator and shallow fry when needed)
- Deep fry the cutlets in hot oil on medium heat till golden and crisp from both the sides.
- Drain on a paper napkin to remove the excess oil.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and mint chutney.