Cheela or uthappam are Indian style pancakes made either with wheat flour,gram flour ,lentils or semolina.They are good option of making quick,easy and healthy breakfast .You can also pack cheela’s for kids tiffin box as they taste good even when they are cold .So whenever I want to make something quick and easy then Rava upma and quick rava uttapam instantly came in my mind.This is quite an easy recipe with few basic ingredient needed to make it . Its quite easy to digest so good for breakfast lunch or dinner.
Its my daughters favorite recipe so I make it often, I love to add vegetables in it but you can avoid it for your fussy eaters. Addition of tomatoes and capsicum gives a nice crunch and tangy taste to the mild uttapam. You can serve this rava uttapam with coconut chutney or any spicy and tangy chutney or sauce of your choice.
I love sooji uthapams as they don’t need overnight soaking and grinding, just make the batter and rest for few minutes and your batter is ready .You can make the sooji cheela plain with just green chili and coriander or can add loads of chopped vegetables in it to make it healthy .I always prefer to add what ever vegetables I had in my refrigerator. you can slice vegetables in roundels and garnish like pizza or chop finely both ways its fine,it depend on your choice.
You can make the batter and keep it refrigerated for 3- 4 days but add tomatoes and Eno only when you want to make. You can serve this rava uttapam with coconut chutney, green chutney or any spicy and tangy chutney or sauce of your choice.
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato / Tamatar finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Carrot / Gajar grated
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Corn Kernels / Makai Dana optional
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 tsp Chilli Flakes / Kuti Lal Mirch
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt optional
- 2 tbsp Refined Flour / Maida optional
- In a bowl add yogurt and 2 cup water and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix all the chopped vegetables, green chili and coriander .
- Take out 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and keep aside for topping.
- Now In the yogurt mixture add the semolina,refined flour,all the spices and some water to make a medium thick batter and mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Now check the batter and if it become thicker then add some water and mix.
- Add the chopped vegetables and the fruit salt and mix.
- Heat a non stick pan and grease with some oil and then wipe it with a moist cloth or tissue.
- Spread the batter on the pan and sprinkle some topping and gently press with the spatula.
- Now cook on medium flame .you can cover it with a lid to cook it faster.
- Sprinkle some oil around the uttapam and let it cook from the bottom.
- When it looks dry on top then spread some oil on top and gently flip it over.
- Cook from the other side and remove from the pan when done.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney ,green chutney or any spicy tangy sauce of your choice.
- Addition of refined flour/maida is optional but it helps in holding the batter and easy cooking but you can also substitute it with rice flour or wheat flour.
- Eno makes the uttapam soft and fluffy.
- Chili flakes can be substituted with freshly ground pepper.
- Instead of using curd you can also use slightly sour butter milk.
- Quantity of water depends on the quality of rava so add water accordingly,it will absorb water after soaking,so the final batter should be of medium thickness to spread it easily,don't make a thin batter.