Tindli Ki Sabzi- Stir fried Ivy gourd with mild Indian spices
Tindli ki sabzi- tendli /Tindora /kudru /Ivy gourd is a popular vegetable which is cooked and enjoyed all over India.Though the recipe may be slightly different in each state but this crunchy vegetable is a favourite all over .It is from the gourd family so looks very much like a cute baby watermelon.But dont get confused with parwal /pointed gourd . Parwal and tindli both may look very similar but their taste and texture is very much different .
Tendli is often used to make crunchy salads,stir fries and pickles but very few use to make tindora ki subzi with gravy.
Tindli ki sabzi taste best when made as a quick stir fry. I prefer to make tindli ki sabzi without adding potatoes but you can also add sliced potatoes if you prefer.Make it simple and mild and avoid overcooking it as it taste best when it is crisp and crunchy.
A very delicious and crunchy pickle can also be made with kudru,I have posted the pickle recipe here- Tindli ka achar
Tindli Ki Subzi,Kudru Recipe
- 550 gm Ivy Gourd / Tindli / Kundru
- 1 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Split White Gram / Safed Urad
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder ori
- 3/4 tsp Sambhar Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Wash kundru and trim both the ends and slice to make vertical pieces,about 4-6 from a tindora.
- Heat oil in a heavy and broad pan and add urad daal,cumin and rai.
- When seeds start crackling add hing and curry patta .
- Now add turmeric and the sliced tindora and saute for a minute.
- Add salt and chopped tomato,mix and cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat.
- Keep checking and stirring in between to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- When tindli get cooked but remain crisp then add all the remaining spices and mix it well.
- Cook uncovered for a minute on medium heat.
- Serve hot with roti and steamed rice.