Mysore Rasam – Mildly spiced delicious digestive Lentil and tomato soup-a specialty of Karnataka- Southern India
Mysore Rasam is a type of thin and spicy lentil soup which is an integral part of any South Indian meal but is different from the popular sambhar. There are many version of rasam, some are made with lentil and some are made without using any lentil ,taste almost like a spicy tomato or vegetable broth.
Freshly ground spice powder(Rasam powder) is added to give a fresh aroma and flavour but now ready made rasam powders of good brands are easily available in the market so you can use them too.I have also posted the recipe of Pineapple rasam
Rasam can be served as a appetizer, soup or to serve as an accompaniment with idli,dosa,uttapam or vada.
Do Try These Delicious Southern Indian Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 4 tbsp Tuvar Daal
- 2 Tomato
- 1 Green Chili
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1.5 tsp Rasam Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggary
- 2.5 tsp Jaggary Pulp
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander chopped
- to Taste Salt
Tempering / Tadka
- 2 tsp Ghee/ Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seed/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 2 Dried whole red chili
- 8 Curry Leaves
- Wash and soak tuver daal for 15 minutes.Add Roughly chopped tomato and 1/2 cup of water in the cooker and pressure cook for a whistle.Take out the boiled tomatoes and gently mash them with a laddle or whisk.Now add tuvar daal,chopped green chili,I tsp oil and approx 1.5 cups of water in the cooker.Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till daal become soft and mushy.Open the cooker and mash the boiled daal.
- Take out the boiled tomatoes and gently mash them with a laddle or whisk.
- Now add tuvar daal,chopped green chili,I tsp oil and approx 1.5 cups of water in the cooker.Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till daal become soft and mushy.
- Open the cooker and mash the boiled daal.
- In a pan add mashed tuvar daal,mashed tomato, salt,turmeric,tamarind extract,1/4 tsp asafoetida and approx 3 cups of water and cook on medium heat for 2 -3 minutes
- Now add 2 tsps of rasam powder,jaggary and few curry leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.When seeds start crackling add asafoetida ,curry leaves and whole red chilies.
- Add the tempering in the boiling rasam.Switch off the flame and add chopped fresh coriander .
- Serve hot with a spoon of ghee on top.(optional)
- Serve as and appetizer or with with rice, dosa ,vada or idlis
*Readymade Rasam powder is very easily available in all the Indian stores.
You can also add whole tomatoes along with the daal and cook together at step 5.