Achari bhindi- Stir fried okra made with tomato and pickle spices.
Achari Bhindi /okra is a favorite vegetable of most of us,it is a versatile vegetable which can be made in several ways.I usually made stir fries and stuffed bhindi. The favorite okra/bhindi recipes of my family are kurkuri Bhindi ,
Some people avoid using bhindi due to its sliminess,but there are few tips to avoid that,first and most important is that you have to wash and wipe okra very well before cutting,never wash it after chopping and don’t cook on low flame as it increase its sliminess so cook on medium flame ,don’t add water to cook okra as it will cook in its own moisture and add some mango powder and coriander powder while stir frying it.
This Achari bhindi is among the most frequently ordered okra dish in restaurant menu .Panchphoran or whole pickle spices are used in the tempering and then little powdered pickle masala is added while stir frying it to get the achari flavor. Try this simple but flavorful dish and enjoy with curd and parathas
Okra /bhindi is the favorite vegetable of my family so made often these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
How to Make Achari Bhindi / Spicy Okra
- 500 gm Okra /bhindi -250 gms
- 200 gms Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 3/4 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 tsp Ready made pickle masala
- To Taste Salt- to taste
- 3.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- A Pinch Onion seeds /Kalonji optional
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and then wipe okras very well with a kitchen napkin.
- Trim the ends, slit from the center (to check worms)and chop into big pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the chopped okras and saute for 2 minutes
- Remove the sauteed okras from the pan and keep aside.
- Add oil in the pan and add the tempering.
- When seeds become golden then add turmeric and tomato and saute till it become soft.
- Now add sauted bhindi, salt and all the spices except mango powder and pickle masala.
- Cover the pan and cook till okra get almost done.
- Now add mango powder and pickle masala in the okras.
- Stir and cook for it for a minute or till done
- Serve hot with chapati, poori or rice.
- If you don’t have ready made pickle masala then use 1 tsp of masala from your chili or mango pickle.
- Can substitute mustard oil with any other vegetable oil.
- Can also add few boiled potato pieces at step-7
Sukshma Iyer says
I am in absolute awe of your blog! Thank you so much for this varied collection of Satvik recipes. I have recently adapted to the Brahmakumari lifestyle and was in search of a collection of no onion- no garlic recipes and you have come to my rescue! This achaari bhendi recipe is marvellous, it’s so simple yet very tasty.
One humble correction: Kalonji is NOT onion seeds, also known as nigella, it is a very Satvik spice which is very good for health.
JASPINDER KAUR says
Looks Delicious.. tempting achari bhindi.
Sangeetha Nambi says
incredible and tempting bhindi 🙂
do visit and join my space in your free time..
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
Looks delicious !!!
And Do collect your
SunShine Blog Award at
I Live in a Frying Pan says
Love achari recipes! I've just shared this with my mom so we can make it at home 🙂
Rashida shaikh says
Wow!!! Looks superb…tangy bhindi
I sometimes use the excess oil of the pickle to make a curry and love the change in taste. This should be good!
Spice up the Curry says
looks very very yummy
Scrumptious and tongue tickling achari bhindi
yummy and delicious achari bindi!
Hamaree Rasoi says
Delicious looking and colorful achari bhindi. Wonderfully prepared.
Delicious Achari Bhindi 🙂
Suja Manoj says
This looks so tempting,love achari bhindi.
Divya Pramil says
I have fallen in love with this recipe it looks and sounds so delicious 🙂
~Today's Recipe~ Chilli Beef
You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes
kitchen queen says
yum yum delicious and tempting achari bhindi.