Guvar Phali Ki Sabzi-Cluster beans cooked with Yogurt and Indian spices- specialty from Rajasthan.
Guvar phali ki sabzi – cluster beans are slightly bitter in taste and takes little longer time to cook as compared to other beans. Guvar phali is very popular in the states of Rajasthan and Uttar pradesh . In Rajasthan they not only use the fresh guvar ki phali but also dry these bean pods and use them to make the popular – Ker sangri ki sabzi and also deep fry them to serve as a crispy .
As guvar is slightly bitter in taste so a sour ingredients should be added in it ,either tamarind ,tomato,lemon juice or yogurt .You can make a dry preparation like this guvar sabzi or make it with slightly gravy with tomato or yogurt.
To make guvar ki sabzi you have to de-string the guvar beans from both the sides else it will ruin the taste but if the guvar beans are very tender and fresh then you can skip this step but hard ,big and ripe guvar need to de-string first.
Do Try theses Recipes-
- Guvar phali Aloo ki sabzi
- Ker Sangri Ki Sabzi
- Guvar Dhokli Nu Shaak
- Valor Muthiya Ki Sabzi
- Sem baigan Ki Sabzi
- Beans Thoran
Guvar Phali ki Subzi (Cluster Bean Stir Fry)
Cluster beans cooked with Yogurt and Indian spices- speciality from Rajasthan
Servings: 5 people
- 275 gms Cluster beans /Guvar phali
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarsly powdered
- Pinch of Sugar / Chini
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Wash and de-string the cluster beans/guvar and chop into medium size pieces.
- Pressure cook with a glass of water for 3 whistles.(check note)
- Open the cooker and drain the beans in a colander to drain off all the water,no need to press and squeeze the water from the beans.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida and ajwain ,fry till golden in colour
- Now add green chili and saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric, boiled guvar phali and salt and saute for a minute.
- Take curd in a bowl and mix sugar, chili powder, coriander powder and fennel powder and mix well.
- Add the yoghurt mix in the pan and mix with the guvar phali and let it cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.keep stirring in between.
- When the gravy thickens then remove it from the heat.
- Serve hot with rice or any Indian bread of your choice.
- The pressure cooking time depends on the quality and thickness of guavar phali,tender small guvar get cooked faster and mature thick guvar takes time to cook so cook accordingly ,it may cook in 1-3 whistles.
- I have used Mustard oil but you can use any cooking oil of your choice.