Valor Muthiya Ki Sabzi- Broad bean and fenugreek dumpling curry-Speciality from the state of Gujarat
valor muthiya-Broad beans /Hyacinth beans /Valor /sem ki phali is a seasonal vegetable.They are rich in fibre,vit A, Vit C, Vit K.
This bean is best combined with potato, brinjal and muthiyas. To make this valor muthiya nu shaak , deep fried fenugreek leaves and gram flour dumpling are cooked with broad beans and mild spices,this semi dry curry is served with bhakri or chapatis .
The most tiring or time consuming job is the cleaning of these beans.Broad beans should be de-string properly and then the pod should be opened to check the hidden worms.
I have also posted the classic combo of broad beans and potato-Sem Aloo ki Subzi
you may also like to try these delicious recipes-
- Beans Thoran
- Sem baigan ki sabzi
- Instant Rava Idli
- Methi Na Gota
- Chana Daal Dhokla
- Lauki Moong Daal Cheela
- Masala Sabudana Khichdi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak / Broad Bean Curry
- 400 gms Broad beans/ Sem Ki Phali/ valor
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tbsp Dessicated coconut
- 2.5 tsp lemon juice
- To Taste Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
For Making Muthiya
- 1.5 cup Fresh Fenugreek leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup Gram flour/ Besan
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1 tbsp Semolina / Sooji
- 3 tsp Cooking oil
- Pinch Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Green chili paste
- To Taste Salt
Tempering / Waghar
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and de-string broad beans and then open the beans to check any hidden worms inside (don’t skip this step)
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients to make muthiya and mix well.Then add little water and make a medium thick dough.
- Grease yours palms and make small dumplings from the dough and keep aside.when you finish making all the dumplings then deep fry them in hot oil on medium heat till golden in colour.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan (use the oil in which you have fried the dumplings/muthiyas)
- Now add the tempering ingredients and let them crackle on medium heat.now add turmeric and beans .
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, salt, sugar and a pinch of soda bi carb in the pan.Mix well and add 2.5 cups of water.
- Now let it simmer till beans get half cooked.
- Now add the fried muthiyas/dumplings in the beans, cover the pan ,mix and simmer for few minutes
- When beans and muthiya become soft add lemon juice and desiccated coconut and mix.
- Serve hot with chapatis, bhakri or daal-rice combo
3-You can also add 3/4 cup chopped tomato at step 10.
4-For a low fat version you can steam the muthiyas for 15 minutes, instead of frying in oil.