Guvar dhokli nu shaak- Cluster beans and flour dumpling curry cooked in a traditional Gujarati style
Guvar Dhokli Nu Shaak- Guvar /cluster bean is a variety of flat bean grown in India ,specially popular in South and North India.It is a rich source of protein and fiber.
It taste slightly bitter so little amount of jaggary/sugar,tamarind or lemon juice is added to balance the taste.it is mostly used to make stir fries,curries and to add in sambhar and daals.
These beans are slightly bitter in taste and have a tougher texture as compared to to french beans or long beans. The edge of these beans is especially fibrous, and you’ll have to de-string it.
This step adds extra 5-10 minutes to the process, but is very important to ensure that the dish doesn’t end up being excessively chewy. Once you remove the side strings of guvar phali , it is preferable to steam or boil the beans first, in case you to plan to make a stir fry or dry curry.
Spiced wheat and Gram flours dumplings and chopped cluster beans are cooked in a flavourful tempering.The thickness of this curry depends on personal preference. some want a dry curry and some prefer some gravy in it,like I do,so add water according to the amount of gravy you want to have.
Do check these Delicious Recipes-
- Guvar phali ki subzi
- Ker Sangri Ki Sabzi
- Guvar aloo Ki Sabzi
- Valor Muthiya Ki Sabzi
- Sem baigan Ki Sabzi
- Beans Thoran
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Guvar Dhokli Nu Shaak
- 225 gm Cluster beans/ Guvar
- 1 tbsp Jaggary/ Gur
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- To Taste Salt
- A Pinch Baking Soda
- 2 cup Water
For Making Dhokli's
- 1/2 cup Wheat Flour/ Atta
- 2 tbsp Gram Flour/ Besan
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- To Taste Salt
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds/ Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1/3 tsp Carom seeds/ Ajwain
- 1.5 tbsp Peanuts/ Moongphali
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp Green Chili chopped
- Add all the ingredients listed for making dhoklis in a big and wide bowl.
- Make small size balls from the dough.
- Flatten each ball on your palm and make a depression in the center by pressing with your thumb.Similar way make all the dhoklis and keep aside.
For the Curry-
- Trim both the ends of the guvar/cluster beans and chop into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or in a heavy bottom pan.Add all the tempering ingredients in the hot oil and let the seeds crackle.
- Then add chopped guvar phali and saute for few seconds.Now add salt,chili powder,turmeric,coconut and saute.
- Add 2 cups of water in the pan and let it come to a boil.
- Now add baking soda and the dhoklis and mix.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.When cool down completely ,open the cooker and add jaggary and lemon juice.
- Give it a boil and serve.If you want a dry curry then boil it till it thickens.
- Serving suggestions-serve with bhakri,poori or rice-daal
Karishma Katkar says
I tried your recipie today and it was super awsm.. I only added a bit of ginger to it though!
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Unique and tempting recipe.
Love your curry.. Nice clicks..
A Very interesting recipe
Sanoli Ghosh says
wonderful recipe. Absolutely delicious.
Ramya Krishnamurthy says
new and learn this recipe from u ji.thanks fro sharing such a nice recipes to us
Something new.. Looks yum & healthy !
New to me looks delicious . will try