Beans Thoran – A delicious,crisp and easy to make stir fry of french beans and fresh coconut
Beans Thoran or Beans Poriyal is an easy and simple to make stir fry made with minimum ingredients. It is a favorite recipe from The South Indian state Kerala. The main ingredients are finely chopped french beans and freshly grated coconut.
This beans thoran is usually served with rice preparation and roti. You can also serve this as a salad with your meal. I love this thoran with my daal rice combo.
For making this thoran just cut off the sides of the beans and then chop them as fine as you can. Heat some coconut oil and add the tempering. Add some salt and turmeric ( optional) and then cover and cook till almost done. Add fresh grated coconut and cook for few minutes. Your delicious crisp beans thoran is ready to serve.
You can also make thoran with many fresh vegetables like cabbage, carrot, beetroot,cluster beans, red spinach,long beans etc.
Do Try these delicious Beans recipes-
- Masala Long Beans
- Lobhia Phali Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Sem Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak
- Guvar Phali Ki Sabzi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Beans Thoran Recipe
- 500 gms French beans
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1 tsp White Lentil/ Urad Daal
- 1/4 Tsp Adsafoetida/ Hing
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 Green chilies/ Hari Mirch optional
- 4 Whole dry red chili
- 1/2 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp Water
- To Taste Salt
- Wash the beans and then trim both the ends.Now make a bunch and chop the beans finely.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add mustard seeds, urad daal when they start crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and the whole red chili pieces.
- Now add the chopped beans and saute for 2 minutes and then add salt and sprinkle 2 tbsp water mix.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till beans are almost done.
- Open the pan and add the grated coconut and saute for 2 minutes on low heat .make sure all the water evaporate while stir frying.
- switch off the heat and serve hot beans poriyal with daal rice or roti's.