Sem Baigan Ki Sabzi- A simple and delicious dry curry of Broad beans and brinjals.
Sem phali / Avaraikai/Hyacinth beans/ broad beans/ Valor / butter beans is a type of bean which is easily available during winter in abundance. It grows on a climbing shrub and can be easily grows in containers in your kitchen garden and balconies.The beans are meaty in texture and have thick seeds inside which are also edible, plump, round and sweeter in taste.
The most tiring or time consuming job is the cleaning of these beans as the beans are quite fibrous and you have to remove the side string before cooking. These Broad beans should be de-string properly and then the pod should be opened to check the hidden worms.
Sem ki phali is very nutritious so we get many health benefits by consuming it .It is rich in copper so good for focus and concentration of mind, also contain good amount of zinc and rich in anti oxidants and anti inflammatory properties. It also have good amount of magnesium calcium and Vitamin D thus promotes bone health. Have good amount of potassium which helps in digestion and good for heart health.
But consuming raw Hyacinth beans /sem phali should be avoided as it have certain chemicals in it which are can be poisonous if taken raw or if consumed in large quantity so be careful about it.
There are so many recipes which you can make with these healthy and nutritious beans. You can combine sem with Aloo and make delicious- Sem Aloo ki sabzi or make the very popular and easy – Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak . This Sem baigan ki sabzi is a Popular vegetable combination of Uttar Pradesh .
It was regularly made in my Grand mothers kitchen during winter and now my mom makes it often and I love the mild flavours of this curry .Do try this curry this winter and give me your feedback!
You can also try these delicious recipes-
- Oats Vegetable Chilla
- Crispy Aloo Pakoda
- Kaddu khatta meetha
- Peanut Chutney
- Gujarati Kadhi
- Beans Thoran
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sem Baigan Ki Sabzi
- 350 gm Sem Phali /Broad beans/ Avaraikai
- 350 gm Baby Brinjal / Baby Eggplant / Chhote Baingan
- 1 Tomato / Tamatar
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 tsp Sugar / Chini
- Pinch soda bi carb optional
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- Wash and string the sem phali and open the pod and check inside.
- Chop brinjals into medium size cubes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and then add the mustard seeds,carom seeds and asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds starts to crackle then add the green chilies, turmeric, chopped beans , and a pinch of soda bi carb.
- Stir to mix and then cover the pan with a lid and cook for a minute on low heat.
- Now add the chopped brinjal, ginger, chili powder and salt ,mix and cover the pan with a lid and cook till almost done. Keep stirring in between.
- When its almost done then add the tomato ,sugar, coriander powder,mix and cover and cook on low flame till its done.
- Add mango powder and chopped coriander, mix gently and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with roti ,paratha or rice.