Green Chutney -A very popular and delicious condiment/dip made with mint, chili and coriander leaves
Green Chutney Ingredients
The Ingredients for Mint coriander chutney are very basic and easily available in your kitchen.You Need fresh mint and coriander leaves,green chilies,ginger,sugar, lemon juice and few nuts. Can also add few leaves of spinach
Some basic Indian spices- Salt,Black salt, cumin, roasted cumin, Asafoetida are added while roasting.
How To Make Green Mint Coriander Chutney-
First of all cleans your greens. Pluck the leaves from Mint . Chop off the roots and the hard mature stems from coriander.Then wash them in enough water 2-3 times and then soak them in a big bowl filled with water so all the remaining mud or dirt will settle at the bottom.
Now chop them roughly. Chop chilies and ginger.
Now add the chopped greens,chili,ginger and all the spices in the mixer jar ,add few tbsp of water and grind together to make a smooth and thick paste.
What is the Shelf life and how to store of Green Chutney
Green chutney have a good shelf life if kept refrigerated.It stays good for a month in the refrigerator. Keep it in a glass air tight jar. Avoid storing it in a steel or metal jar.
You can also freeze green chutney in small portions if needed but it taste best when it is made fresh.
Tips for making Green Chutney
Addition of Nuts increase its shelf life so do add nuts of your choice. You can add almond, walnuts,cashew or roasted peanuts.
Due to the heat generated while grinding, the green get oxidized and the colour become dark or blackish green. So add chilled water or ice cubes while grinding for a nice bright green colour of the green chutney.
Where To Use Green Chutney
Green chutney is mostly used for making chat / street food. This is the main ingredients of paani poori, dahi vada,ragda patties.It can also be used as a sandwich spread . It can be served along samosa,kachori, dhokla ,dosa,idli etc. It is also served as a tangy side dish with your meal. It goes very well with rice, pulao,khichdi ,paratha ,thepla or any Indian flat bread of your choice
How To Make dahi Chutney
Making Dahi chutney is very simple. Dahi chutney is usually served in the restaurants with kabab and snacks. Just grind green chutney without adding lemon juice .Add some chutney in the beaten yogurt and your dahi chutney is ready to serve.
You can make many variations of green chutnies by adding few different herbs and fruits etc. Amla is in season now and you can also make a very healthy
Green Chutney ,Mint and Coriander Chutney
- 1.5 bunch Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 bunch Fresh Mint / Hara Pudina
- 8 Spinach / Palak (optional)
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 3/4 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 8 Almonds / Badam
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- Pluck the mint leaves and coriander leaves from the steams.
- Chop and remove coriander's hard and thick steams from the back of the bunch,no need to discard soft steams of coriander ,they can also be used and have lots of flavour)
- Wash all the greens and chilies with enough water.
- Now add all the ingredients in a mixer jar and grind to make a smooth paste,add approx. 1/2 cup water while grinding if needed
- Take out the chutney in a jar,cover and keep refrigerated,easily stays fresh for minimum 2 weeks.
2- Can substitute almonds with 2 tbsp of roasted peanuts or walnuts.
3-Spinach and almonds are added to make it smooth and creamy, to add nutrition and the oil from the nuts will also act as a preservative.Addition of nuts is optional but highly recommended.
3- Sugar is added to balance the slightly bitter and strong taste of mint,if you are using only coriander leaves then can omit sugar.
4- Add 1 tbsp of chutney in 1/2 cup of yoghurt to make mint and yoghurt dip.
5-Love spicy food - then try adding 1-2 cloves and 4 peppercorns while grinding for a twist in the taste . Serving suggestions-can serve as a dip for snacks,spread for sandwiches or wraps and as a side dish too.