Lemon Chutney- Condiments, pickles and preserves are the integral part of Indian cuisine. Varieties of Jams and jellies are made with seasonal fruits but the most popular are pickles and chutneys as they can be served with snacks and as a side dish with main course meal.
Pickles and chutneys are mainly of two types-instant ones which have short shelf life,and the one which have long shelf life. During season the long shelf life ones are made in large quantity to use through out the year.
Fruity and the sweet and tangy multi purpose chutnies are the most popular chutneys in my house,used to make chat or to serve with snacks to make them more appetizing.
This lemon chutney or lemon pickle is a specialty from the city of Indore.It has a fusion of all the tastes-sweet,sour,salty,slightly bitter and spicy.It taste some what similar to lemon pickle.I learned this from a friend of mine who is from Indore.
- Pineapple and pepper chutney
- Date Tamarind Chutney
- Apple and raw mango chutney
- Tomato Thokku chutney
- Amrood Pudina Chutney
- Rajkot Chutney
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 500 gms Lemon
- 500 gms Sugar
- 2.5 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger/ Adrak
- To Taste Salt
- Wash and wipe lemons (choose small Indian lemon with thin skin) with a soft cloth.
- Chop lemons into small pieces and remove the pips.
- Grind the chopped pieces in the mixer to make a paste.(it’s fine to have little chunky paste,no need to make it very smooth )
- Take a heavy bottom pan add lemon paste and sugar and cook on slow flame.
- When it started to thicken then add grated ginger,salt and chili powder.
- Simmer till you get a soft jam like consistency.
- Store in a glass jar when cool down completely.
- Let it mature for a week then start using,can be used immediately but can taste slightly bitter now and after a week it will taste better as lemon absorb the flavours.
- Grind the chopped lemon, sugar, ginger, salt and chili powder in the mixer and make a smooth paste.
- Store in a glass bottle and keep in direct sunlight for a day.
- Rest for a week then start using.
- Grind lemon pieces in the mixer.
- Take a glass jar, add sugar, salt, chili powder, ginger and lemon paste.
- Mix every thing properly.
- Keep the jar in sun light till the sugar melts and become a thick syrup.
- Serving suggestions-serve with snacks,or as a side dish with main course or use as Lemon marmalade .