Guvar dhokli nu shaak-Cluster beans and flour dumpling curry cooked in a traditional Gujarati style
Guvar /cluster bean is a variety of flat bean grown in India ,specially popular in South and North India.It is a rich source of protein and fibre.It taste slightly bitter so little amount of jaggary/sugar,tamarind or lemon juice is added to balance the taste.it is mostly used to make stir fries,curries and to add in sambhar and daals.
Spiced wheat and Gram flours dumplings and chopped clusterbeans are cooked in a flavourful tempering.The thickness of this curry depends on personal preference.some want a dry curry and some prefer some gravy in it,like I do,so add water according to the amount of gravy you want to have.
I have also posted a U.P style stir fry of Guvar-Guvar phali ki subzi in my blog.
Prep time-20 minutes
Cooking time -10 minutes
- Guvar /cluster beans-225 gms
- Jaggary/Gur-1 tbsp
- Fresh coconut,grated-1 tbsp(optional)
- Lemon juice- 1.5 tbsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Salt -to taste
- Baking soda- a pinch of
- Water -2 cup
To make dhoklis-
- Wheat flour/atta-1/2 cup
- Gram flour/Besan-2 tbsp
- Chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt -to taste
- Ajwain/carom seeds-1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
- Sugar-1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil- 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-3/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Ajwain/carom seeds-1/3 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/3 tsp
- Green chilies,chopped- 1tsp
- Peanuts- 1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 8
- DHOKLI-add all the ingredients listed for making dhoklis in a big and wide bowl.
- Mix all well and then add just enough water and make a medium stiff dough.
- Make small size balls from the dough.
- Flatten each ball on your palm and make a depression in the centre by pressing with your thumb.
- Similar way make all the dhoklis and keep aside.
- CURRY-Trime both the ends of the guvar/cluster beans and chop into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add all the tempering ingredients in the hot oil and let the seeds crackle.
- Then add chopped guvar phali and saute for few seconds.
- Now add salt,chili powder,turmeric,coconut and saute.
- Add 2 cups of water in the pan and let it come to a boil.
- Now add baking soda and the dhoklis and mix.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- When cool down completely ,open the cooker and add jaggary and lemon juice.
- Give it a boil and serve.
- If you want a dry curry then boil it till it thickens.
Serving suggestions-serve with bhakri,poori or rice-daal