Stuffed karela -Bitter gourd stuffed with pressed rice flakes, tomato and few spices
stuffed karela- Health benefits of karela/bitter gourd are very well known so we all try to make and create different dishes from karela to make it delicious and acceptable by all our family memebers.Usually stir fries,chips and dry curries are made with karelas.
I have also posted typical Uttar Pradesh style stuffed karela, khatta metha karela and few more recipes in my blog.Today I tried a very different and quicker version of making stuffed karela.hope you all will try and like this.
Do try these delicious karela recipes-
- karela peel poori,
- Khatta meetha karela ,
- Daal karela
- Achari Karela
- Tangy karela ,
- Crunchy karela pakoda
cooking time -15 min
- Bitter gourd-5 (small)
- Tomato, chopped-3 tbsp
- Poha/pressed rice-1/2 cup
- Tomato ketchup- 1.5 tbsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 1.5 tbsp
- Cooking oil-1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric-1/3 tsp
- Chili powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Salt -to taste
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/3 tsp
- Chili powder-3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/3 tsp
- Tomato,chopped- 2.5 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup-1 tbsp
- Sugar -a pinch of
- Salt -to taste
- Scrape karela and then apply some salt over them and keep aside for 15 minutes
- Wash well and then slit and remove the hard seeds from the karela .
- Put the karelas in a bowl and add approx 3/4 cup of water in the pressure cooker.
- Now Steam cook karela in the pressure cooker for 1 whistles.(don’t add karela directly in the water)
- Take out karela and let them cool down, if they are big in size then cut into 2.
- STUFFING-wash poha in enough water and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add cumin,mustard and asafoetida.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and stir fry till they become soft and pulpy.
- Now add soaked poha,ketchup and all the spices(listed in stuffing)
- Stir fry till the stuffing become dry and mashed well.
- Take out in a bowl and let it come to room temperatue.
- Stuff this mixture in the karelas.(you can tie a thread around the karela if you wish)
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped tomato and salt and stir fry till it become soft.
- Add ketchup and all the spices(listed in tempering)
- Saute for few seconds and then add 3 tbsp water.
- When start boiling add the stuffed karelas in it.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remember to keep changing the sides of karela in between to get even colour on all the sides
- Then simmer till all the moisture dries up and karela get a nice golden colour.
- Serve with daal-rice or parathas