Mirchi Ka Kutta -Green Chili and Fenugreek seed Relish/ Instant Pickle
Mirchi ka kutta is an Instant pickle made by lightly pounded green chilies, its a traditional recipe from Rajasthan. It is made with mildly spiced green chilies else it may become too hot to consume but you can choose the chilies as per your choice.Traditionaly the green chilies are lightly pounded in a mortar and pastel but you can give it a pulse in your chopper or mixer.
The addition of fenugreek seeds made it more healthier and delicious . I have added soaked and boiled fenugreek in it as boiling reduce the bitterness from fenugreek seeds but you can add them without boiling too,depend on your preference.
I love Rajasthani food as its delicious and quite spicy ,I learned most of the Rajasthani recipes from my sister who lives in Jaipur and is a foodie like me 🙂 My family loves Gatte ki sabzi , Ker sangri ka sabzi , Missi roti , Panchmel daal so I regularly makes theses Rajasthani special recipes.
I love pickling and make so many variety of green chili pickle, few of my favorites are Green chili Pickled in Lemon Juice, Stuffed Green Chili Pickle ,Rajasthani style Hari Mirch Ke Tipore and this easy and delicious Chukki hui Hari Mirch is a regular in my kitchen.
Do try this Mirchi ka kutta recipe , its easy to make and taste awesome ,it can be stored in the refrigerator for about a month. Milk OR buttermilk is added in it to reduce the spiciness but you can add water if you wish. If you want to store it at room temperature then add little extra oil and keep stirring it daily.
Mirchi ka kutta
- 350 gm Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 3.5 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- To taste salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3/4 cup Milk OR Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 4 tbs Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash Fenugreek seeds and soak for an hour.
- Now drain the water and wash fenugreek with fresh water and then add in the pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for a whistle or boil in an open pan for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and rinse the boiled fenugrreek with water.(Fenugreek is boiled to reduce the bitterness but you can also use with out boiling)
- Wash The green chilies and chop into medium thick roundals and pound them slightly
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle then add asafoetida, turmeric and the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Now add boiled fenugreek seeds and saute for a minute.
- Add milk /buttermilk and salt and cook on medium heat till the milk dries up.
- Now add all the remaining spices and stir for a minute .
- Let it come to room temperature and then store in a glass jar.
- Stays well for a month in the refrigerator ,if you want to store it at room temperature or want to carry as travel food then just add little more oil and stir it once a day.
- Serving suggestions- Goes well with Rice ,poori ,paratha or as a side dish with your main course meal.