Sengri Aloo Ki sabzi- A delicious stir fry of Radish Pod and potato -a winter specialty
Sengri/ Moongre or mongre is the pod of Radish and is available in winter season only.This Sengri ki phali is popular in North India specially in Uttar Pradesh. These pods are very reasonably priced during the season.The pods grow in different sizes ,you can find them quite long or small in size and often sold in bunches. The tails of these sengri phali’s are quite dry or fibrous so you have to remove them while chopping the pod.
These radish pods looks quite similar to French beans but are very different taste wise .The taste of sengri is quite pungent like radish. Sengri is available in two types ,green and purple . Green mongri is usually used to make sabzi but you can eat the young tender green mongri raw or add it in your salad. The purple one is the most preferred one to eat raw. Finely chopped purple pods are added in the yogurt to make delicious raita or added in salads. You can also make delicious chutney with these pungent sengri ki phali, green chili, lemon juice and few basic spices.
Sengri aloo ki sabzi is a simple stir fry made with few basic spices. You can add both in similar quantity or add more of sengri and just few pieces of potatoes .Addition of tomato is optional but it gives a nice color to the sabzi. This sengri aloo is a dry stir fry and goes well with daal-rice combo,roti, parartha or poori’s.
Do try these different types of Beans ki sabzi-
- Sem Baigan Ki Sabzi
- Lobhia Phali Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Guvar Phali Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Masala lardlong beans
- Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak
Sengri Aloo Ki Sabzi
- 400 gm Potato/ Aloo
- 400 gm Sengri/ Radish Pods
- 1 medium Tomato chopped
- 2 Green Chili/ Hari Mirch
- 5 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seed/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain/ Carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric/haldi
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Mango powder/ Amchoor
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- Wash radish pods/ sengri and trim the ends first and thennow chop into small size pieces.
- Peel potato and chop into small pieces
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wide pan (I use Mustard oil in my cooking but you can use any cooking oil of your choice)
- Add cumin and carom seeds and when seed start to crackle add asafoetida and green chilies.
- Now add turmeric powder,stir and then add the chopped vegetables and salt ,mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on low heat.
- Stir 2-3 times in between and cook till the potatoes are almost done.
- Now add all the remaining spices and the chopped tomato and mix well.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for 2-3 minutes till potato cooked completely.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha aur daal-rice