Masala Long Beans – Chinese yardlong beans and tomato curry
Chinese long beans /bora /bodie /payar/ cow pea beans /Lobhia ki phali /Chawli ki phali so many names for the healthy bean ,which is but comparatively less popular among other beans.
Long bean is mainly a summer vegetable but now very easily available through out the year.It is best used when tender and fresh .It dries soon in comparison to other beans so if some beans dries while storage then don’t throw them just collect the seeds from the dried pods and use in the curry.
Like all other beans it also have numerous health benefits. It has a very good amount of fiber so very good for stomach and bowl movement .Recommended for diabetic and hyper tension patients as it helps to lower cholesterol and is diuretic in nature.
In North India specially in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh boda/masala long beans is a very popular and favorite bean and used to make stir fries and curries.I have also posted my favourite long bean curry and this dry stir fry is also a family favourite I have used panch phoran to temper the long beans which enhance the flavour of this long bean stir fry/barbatti masala.
Do try these beans recipes-
- Lobhia phali aloo ki sabzi
- Dahi wali long bean aloo ki subzi
- Guvar Phali ki sabzi
- Valor Muthiya ki sabzi
- Beans Thoran
- Sem baigan ki sabzi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Masala Long beans curry/ Barbatti Masala sabzi
- 350 grams Long bean/barbatti/boda
- 300 grams Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- a pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 8 Curry Leaves
- Wash and trim the hard ends of the long beans .
- Make a bunch of the beans and slice into thin pieces.
- In the pressure cooker add the chopped beans and 1 cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat or cook till done.
- Grind chopped tomato and green chilies to make a smooth paste.
- Drain the boiled beans on a colander and collect the water in a bowl.*
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering.when seeds start crackling add tomato puree.
- Add turmeric and all the spices and saute till oil start separating from the masala.
- Now add boiled beans and saute for few seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water( *reserved from the boiled beans )mix well and cover the pan with a lid
- Simmer till it become thick and almost dry.
- Now add fresh coriander and serve