Poha Chivda-Crispy and crunchy snack made with flattened rice, peanuts, cashews and raisins
Poha chivda is a popular and easy snack in India. It is specially popular in Maharashtra and Karnataka. It is specially made on Diwali along with others savory items.
You can also use corn chivda instead of poha chivda for a variation. Cashews, raisins, almonds, roasted chana daal and peanuts can be added according to your own preference. Can askip adding any ingredient if you dont like it. It taste great just with poha and peanuts only. You can also add some fried masala boondi and besan bhujiya if you want to skip nuts in it.
This Poha chivda is slight tangy/ Khatta Mettha as I love to add little sugar in it but addition of sugar and turmeric is optional , you can make without sugar or turmeric.
I have also posted these delicious recipes-
- Aloo chivda
- Masala mathri
- Aloo kachori
- Aloo ki khasta kachori
- Moong Sprout Kachori
- Bengali Style Matar Kachori
You Can this video of Chivda and subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
How to Make Poha Chiwda - Diwali Special Recipe
- 1.5 cup Flattened Rice/Chivda
- 1 cup Corn chivda
- 3/4 cup Peanuts / moongphali
- 1/2 cup Roasted chana daal/ daaliya
- 1/2 cup Cashew nuts / Kaju
- 2 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 1 tbsp Green chilies chopped
- 10 Curry leaves -
- 1 tsp Chili powder/Lal mirch
- 2 tsp Castor sugar/pisi hui chini
- Pinch Citric acid / tatri / Nimbu phool powdered
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Take a small bowl and mix all the spices in it and keep aside.(A)
- Heat enough oil in a deep and wide pan/kadhai .
- Keep all the ingredients near you before frying as all the frying should be done quickly,and keep a colander handy to collect all the fried ingredients in it.
- When the oil become hot add curry leaves and fry till they become crisp,drain on a colander.
- Now fry chopped green chilies till crisp and then drain.
- Fry the peanuts on medium heat till they become golden, then drain on the colander.
- Same way deep fry cashew nuts and chana daal in medium heat to a nice golden colour and then drain on the colander.
- Add raisins in hot oil, and as soon as they swell up, immediately take them out and drain. Overcooked raisins become chewy and hard.
- Add a handful of poha in hot oil, and when done it will come up and start floating over the oil then strain it with a fine metal sieve and add in the colander.
- Don’t over crowd the pan with poha, else it will not cook properly.
- No need to over cook it or make it golden. It remains white even after frying.
- In the same, fry the remaining poha and corn chivda.
- Keep collecting all the fried ingredients in the same colander.
- Now coarsely crush the fried curry leaves and mix with all the ingredients.
- When you finish frying all the ingredients, immediately add the spice mix (A) in the fried hot chivda and mix well.
- Let it cool down completely then store in a air tight container.
- Serving Suggestions – Serve with any hot or cold beverage.
1-Use thick variety of poha to make this chiwda.
2-You can also make this chiwda only with poha or corn chivda ,addition of both is optional.
3-You can adjust the quantity of peanuts,cashew,chana daal and raisins according to your choice and taste.
4- Frying curry leaves and green chilies first, gives a nice flavour to the oil.
5- Add spices in the hot chivda as soon as you finish frying ,otherwise it will not stick properly if it become cold.