Masala sabudana khichdi- A delicious pilaf made with soaked Tapioca pearls /sabudana ,potato and few spices
Masala Sabudana khichdi is the most preferred fasting recipe in North India. Though It is a recipe from Maharashtrian cuisine but is now very popular everywhere in India .Many Restaurants sell sabudana khichdi as a breakfast menu and during Navratri and other fasting days.
Sabudana/sago/Tapioca pearls are rich in carbs so give instant energy and make your stomach full for a long time so it is a very popular fasting food. Sabudana, potato and peanuts with few spices makes this wonderful pilaf which is quite easy to make and taste awesome.The method is simple if you have soaked the sabudana perfectly .
The soaking of sabudana is the tricky thing as if you soak it in too much water them it may turn gooey and sticky and if it is soaked in less water or for less time then it turn too dry so soak it perfectly and your sabudana khichdi turn our delicious with each grain separate.
The cooking of sabudana should also be done perfectly else it taste raw while eating. So after tempering the sabudana ,saute it for 2 minutes and then cover with a lid and simmer till it turn translucent, stir 2-3 times in between else it may stick to the bottom.
Mostly Sabudana khichdi is made during fasting like Navratri ,janmashtami ,Ekadashi days ,then it is made simple with just potato ,peanuts ,pepper and salt . Me and my daughter loves sabudana khichdi and often makes for breakfast .
My daughter loves this masala sabudana khichdi ,addition of tomato, peas and regular spices enhance the taste of sabudana khichdi ,do try this Masala Sabudana khichdi for a change in taste and you will surely love this and make it often.
If you are looking for sabudana recipes for Fasting then try this-
Check the video recipe of Masala sabudana Khichdi and like and subscribe to my You tube channel for more such delicious recipes !
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Masala Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 cup Tapioca Pearls / Sago / Sabudana
- 2 Potatoes / Aloo boiled,peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1/2 cup Peanuts / Moongphali crushed
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini optional
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Wash sabudana with running water 2-3 times and then soak it with 3/4 cup water in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let it soak overnight or minimum for 6 hours.
- Coarsely crush the peanuts (or powder them)
- Heat ghee or oil in a non stick or heavy bottom pan.
- Add cumin seeds and then add crushed peanuts and green chilies saute till peanuts turn golden in colour.
- Now add green peas, curry leaves and asafoetida and stir for few seconds.cover and cook for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Add chopped potato,turmeric,salt and saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked sabudana,sugar,chili powder,ginger and tomatoes and mix it well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes on low heat till it turn translucent.
- Now add lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix IT well.
- Serve hot with some yogurt or green chutney.