Raw mango rice- Steamed rice stir fried with grated raw mango, fried peanuts,fresh herbs and spices
Raw mango rice or Mamidikaya Pulihora is a delicacy from South India.It is a simple easy yet delicious rice preparation.Grated raw mangoes are fried or cooked in a flavourful tempering and then boiled rice is added in it and a simple and tangy rice is ready to serve .
you just need some papad or salad to go with this.It is also good for lunch box or as a travel food.
Prep time-10 min
cooking time-15 min
- Rice-1.5 cup
- Raw mango,grated-2
- Green chilies,chopped-1 tbsp
- Ginger,chopped- 2 tsp
- Curry leaves-10
- Cooking oil or ghee-1/4 cup
- Peanuts-1/4 cup
- Cashews – 2 tbsp
- Urad daal/white lentils-1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/2 tsp
- Whole red chiles-4
- Wash and soak rice for approx. 15 minutes.
- In a big pan add approx 7 cup water,1 tsp of salt and soaked rice and cook till done.
- Drain the rice on a colander to drain the extra water .
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the peanuts and cashews on low flame till golden and crisp.drain the peanuts and cashews on the boiled rice.
- Now add urad daal and mustard seeds in the same pan.
- When daal/ lentil become golden then add curry leaves ,chopped green chilies,whole red chilies and asafoetida.
- Mix well and then add turmeric powder and grated raw mango.
- Cover and cook on low heat till mango become slightly soft.
- Now mix boiled rice,ginger and salt ,mix well
- Saute for few seconds till everything mixed well.
- Add some fresh coriander and serve hot or cold.