Sambhar Sadam -An Easy, healthy and delicious rice, lentil and vegetable medley,one pot meal- from Tamil Nadu
Sambhar sadam is a very delicious one pot meal from Tamil Cuisine. It is a flavorful and more healthy version of North Indian khichdi. There are quite few different versions of making sambhar sadam. The proportion of daal rice may be different and the vegetables added in it also depends on availability. It is a easier version of making Bisi bele bhath.
There are so many delicious and easy rice recipes which are made in the southern part of India.I learned these recipes from my friends and now I regularly made these for lunch and dinner.But my favourite is this delicious sambhar sadam
Sambhar sadam can be served for lunch or dinner. For making sambhar rice you don’t need to use basmati rice or any long grain rice, just use any normal rice which you use regularly in the kitchen, any short grain rice or broken rice/tukda chawal or can also use brown rice.I have used sona masuri rice for making sambhar sadam.
The most important ingredient to make sambhar sadam is the addition of sambhar powder.you can make your own fresh sambhar powder or just use any readily available sambhar powder of a good brand . I have used MTR brand sambhar powder but you can use your favourite brand, but don’t skip adding it.
Sambhar sadam is best served with raita/yogurt ,pickle and papads
If you are looking for more rice recipes then do try these Southern Indian rice recipes from my blog-
- Raw Mango Rice
- Ven Pongal
- Lemon Rice
- Puliyodharai /Tamarind Rice
- Minty Tomato Rice
- Nizami Sesame Rice
How To Make Sambhar Sadam-Sambhar Rice Recipe
- 1 cup Rice/chawal short grain/tukda
- 3/4 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 1 Carrot / Gajar chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 2 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3/4 cup Cauliflower /phool gobhi chopped in medium size pieces
- 1 Drumstick / Sehjan ki phali / Singi
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2.5 tbsp Sambhar Powder
- 2.5 tbsp Jaggary / Gud * optional
- 3 tbsp Tamarind / Imli thick paste
Tempering/ tadka /waghar
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai * *
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash and soak lentil and rice for about 20 minutes.
- Peel the drumstick and chop to make 1 inch long pieces.
- Now add the soaked daal, rice,turmeric and a tsp of oil in the pressure cooker add water(3/4 inch above the daal rice level) and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- When the cooker cool down completely then open the cooker and slightly mash the cooked daal and rice
- In a heavy bottom pan add 3 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. cook till mustard start to crackle, now add the dried red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables and saute for a minute.
- Add red chili powder, salt, sambhar powder, pieces of drumstick and about 2 glass of water in the pan , cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes .
- Now add tamarind paste ,mix and simmer again for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiled daal and rice mixture in the pan, add grated jaggary and mix it well.
- Now add some hot water to adjust the consistency ,it should be like a soft medium thin consistency.
- Cover and simmer again for 5 minutes.
- Now switch off the flame and add chopped fresh coriander and ghee and mix.
- Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes and then serve hot with curd/raita ,papad ,pickle and a tsp of ghee on top.
- You can use any vegetable of your choice in it.
- Sambhar sadam tend to thicken when it become cold so add hot water and give it a boil to adjust the consistency before serving.
- The consistency of ready sambhar sadam should be soft porridge type,don't make it dry or thick.
- Use Kashmiri chili powder for nice bright colour.