Moong Daal Pulao/ Sookhi Khichdi – a healthy delicious rice and lentil pilaf
Moong daal pulao, sookhi khichdi is a very healthy nutritious one pot meal. It is quite easy to make with few basic Indian spices. I tasted this pulao at a Gujarati friends’s place and loved it instantly. This is very mild yet taste delicious with kadhi and raita.
Its regular in my kitchen now and once a week I make it with kadhi and raita. It can easily be packed in lunchboxes with some yogurt and papad. Kids also likes it as it is quite mild in taste.
This moong daal pulao is also popular as sookhi khichdi .You can also make this khichdi with tuvar daal .
How to Make Moong Daal Khichdi
Wash and soak daal and rice for 15 minutes. the quantity of daal should be half of rice. You can either pressure cook it or make in a pan. heat ghee and add the tempering ingredients and then add the soaked daal and rice. Saute for a minute . Add the spices ,chopped ginger and water. Cook till done. Serve hot with kadhi or raita, chutney and some salad
You can also try these healthy ,delicious Khichdi recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Moong Daal Pulao, Sookhi Khichdi
- 1 cup Rice/ Chawal
- 1/2 cup Yellow Lentil/ Moong Daal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- To Taste Salt
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Hara Dhaniya
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
- 5 tbsp Ghee/cooking oil
- 2 Green chili/ Hari mirch slit
- 5 Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 tsp Peppercorn/ Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1 tsp Cumin seed/ Jeera
- 10 Curry leaves
- 4 Dried red chili
- Wash daal and rice and soak in enough water for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottom pan or in the pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and let it start to crackle.
- Now add all the tempering ingredients-jeera,cloves,peppercorn,whole red chili,green chili, curry leaves and saute.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and lentil and add in the pan.
- Add salt,turmeric ,ginger and saute for a minute on medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook till done or pressure cook for a whistle.(if you are cooking in the pan then you may need to add some more water,depending on the quality of rice)
- Now add some chopped coriander and serve hot with a tsp of ghee on top.
- Serve hot with dahi, raita or kadhi and some fresh salad