Aloo gobhi sabzi -Crisp and mildly spiced Potato and cauliflower stir fry a cooked in North Indian way
Aloo Gobhi sabzi is a classic North indian curry/subzi originally from the Northern state of Punjab , but now very popular in India and Pakistan.
Aloo gobhi ki sabzi can be found in the menu card of every big or small restaurant and dhaba’s.Every home have it’s own version and choice of spices to make it, some like to deep fry the vegetables before adding in the curry,some make it in the tomato gravy-I have already posted Gobhi Masala but personally I don’t like to make it spicy always,it taste great with mild spices too.
I add some crushed black cardamom seeds and home made garam masala with the routine spices to enhance the flavour of aloo gobhi sabzi. You can also add peas instead of potatoes and make it as gobhi matar stir fry.Try this simple curry,you will surely love this.
Do try these Gobhi recipes-
Aloo Gobhi ki subzi ,Potato and Cauliflower stir fry
- 400 grams Cauliflower /phool gobhi
- 2 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 1.5 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder *
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and soak cauliflower florets in salted lukewarm water to remove the worms if any.
- Peel and dice potatoes in medium size pieces.
- Open the black cardamom and slightly crush the seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and asfoetida .
- When seed start crackling add cardamom seeds and cloves.
- Now add turmeric,diced potatoes,and chopped ginger.
- Saute for 1 minute,cover and cook for 1.5 minute on slow heat.
- Now open the pan and add cauliflower and salt,mix and saute for a minute
- Now cover and cook on slow flame till nearly done.Keep stirring in between.
- Now add chopped tomato and all the spices,mix gently.
- Cover and cook on medium flame till done(approx-1-2 minutes)
- Add chopped coriander and serve hot.
2-You can also add 1/2 cup of fresh peas along with potato and cauliflower.
3- can also add 1 tsp of dried fenugreek leaves(kasoori methi) instead of cardamom seeds.
4- Add 1.5 tsp of lemon juice if you don't want to add mango powder. Serving suggestions-best with any Indian bread ,daal , rice, or for making sandwiches