Tamarind Rice- A tangy ,delicious and flavourful Rice made with tamrind,peanuts and a spice mix- Specialty of Southern India
Tamarind rice/puliyohara/puliyodarai /Temple puliyohara is a specialty rice preparation of South India.There are few version of making this tamarind rice depends of every state and the taste of every household.It is a specialty from Tamil Iyengars community.
Ihis is a spicy and tangy rice preparation which is a complete meal in it self and a great travel food too.
Puliyodarai / tamarind rice is also a popular prasad offered in South Indian temples.
A spice mix is prepared by roasting selected spices and lentils and then they are mixed in tamarind sauce which is referred as -pulikaichal or puliyodarai masala.
Do Try These Delicious Rice Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Tamarind Rice/ Puliyodharai
Tamarind rice- A tangy and flavourful rice made with tamarind, peanuts and few flavourful spices- Specialty from Southern India
- 1.5 cup Raw Rice
Pulikaichal/ Tamrind spice Mix
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts/ Moongphali
- 2 lemon size Tamarind
- 1.5 tbsp Bengal Gram/ Chana daal
- 1.5 tbsp White Lentil/ Urad daal
- 12 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methidana
- 2 tbsp Jaggary/ Gur Optional
- 4 Dried Red Chilies
- 2 Green chilies
- 1.5 tsp Ginger/ Adrak
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Sesame Seeds/ Till
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander seeds/ sabut Dhaniya
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 3/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methi dana
- 4 Dried whole red chilies
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes and then boil in enough water till done.
- Drain the boiled rice on a colander to remove all the extra water.
- In a pan add 1.5 tsp of oil and add all the ingredients for roasting-sesame seeds,coriander seeds,fenugreek seeds,whole red chili and asafoetida.
- Roast them to a nice golden colour and then grind to make a fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in 1.5 cup of warm water for about 15 minutes. Mash the tamarind well and squeeze the pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the peanuts and fry them on low heat till they become golden in colour.
- Now add mustard seeds,urad daal,chana daal,fenugreek seeds and saute till daal become golden in colour.
- Add curry leaves,whole red chilies,green chilies,asafoetida, and turmeric and saute.Then add the tamarind pulp ,jaggary,ginger and salt and cook on medium heat .
- Cook till the mixture started to thicken and oil start floating on the sides of the pan.
- Now add the boiled rice and the ground spice mix and mix every thing gently.
- Cover the pan for minimum 1 hour so rice will absorb all the flavours and the daal used in tempering will soften a bit.
- Serving suggestions-serve along with some papad,chips,curd or rasam