Veg kathi rolls -Healthy and filling vegetables rolls made with Indian tortillas-street food of Calcutta
Veg kathi roll- I have heard a lot about Calcutta’s famous Egg rolls which is a very popular road side snack, every road and street have these egg roll stalls. I wanted to try a vegetarian version of these rolls so replaced eggs with dosa batter.
Traditionally whipped egg is applied on the paratha and shallow fried on tawa and then a delicious and healthy salad of assorted vegetables is stuffed inside .Then a generous squeeze of lemon juice,pepper powder or chat masala and tomato ketcup is drizzled over it and then rolled tightly and wrapped in a foil.
These rolls are very easy to prepare and are healthier then other fried snacks,you can also add some grilled paneer or vegetables tikkas inside it to make it more delicious and filling.
you can also try these snacks-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Veg Kathi Rolls ,Kolkata Style
- 1.5 cup Refined flour
- 1/3 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Cooking oil
- to taste Salt- to taste
- 1 cup Dosa batter
- 1 cup Cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup Capsicum sliced
- 1/2 cup Red bell peppers sliced
- 1/2 cup Cabbage shredded
- 1.5 tsp Jalapenos chopped
- 3/4 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 4 tsp Tomato ketchup
- 3/4 tsp Chat masala
- 2.5 tsp Red Chili chutney/Red chili sauce
- Take a bowl and add refined flour,salt,oil and baking powder and mix.
- Now add water and make a medium soft dough,cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes.
- Make medium size balls from the dough and roll to make a medium thick paratha.or make a lachcha paratha.
- On a heavy griddle,cook the paratha so that it will lightly roast from both the sides and then keep side.
- Add some salt and pepper powder in the dosa batter and mix well.
- Heat a non stick pan and pour a laddle of dosa batter and spread to make a dosa of the size of paratha.
- When the dosa get half cooked ,place the paratha over it and press gently so it will stick with the dosa batter.
- Apply 1 tsp of oil on both the sides and cook till done,remove the paratha from the griddle,
- Repeat the process with all the parathas.
- Assemble -Place a paratha on a plate with dosa batter side up, and apply some red chili chutney/chili sauce in the centre of the paratha.
- Place shredded cabbage,capsicum,sliced jalapeno and cucumber on it.
- Now sprinkle some pepper powder,chat masala and lemon juice over the vegetables.
- Drizzle tomato ketchup and roll the paratha tightly to make a neat roll.
- Wrap the roll in a paper napkin or foil and serve hot.
Can use ready made parathas to make this or for a low fat version can use chapatis to make these rolls.
- *Red chili chutney-grind 4 dried red chilies,1/2 tsp cumin,1/3 tsp mustard seeds,salt ,1.5 tsp vinegar and little water to make a coarse paste-
- use only if you like the taste of mustard paste,otherwise can use chili sauce .