Kokum sharbat -Delicious summer cooler made with dried kokum
Kokum sharbat is a sweet and tangy delicious summer drink. Kokum is a very healthy and cooling fruit.This is very famous in the coastal areas of India specially in the Konkan region,they use it in various ways,specially as a souring agent in the curries .
Kokum have many medicinal properties,it can also be applied directly on the skin for allergy cures.It is a very good antioxidant,good for stomach and helps in digestion. Kokum butter is commercially used in confectionery and in beauty products.
Kokum sharbat/drink is made with the soft kokum which is deep purple in colour,the dried fruit is soaked ,mashed and then sugar syrup ,black salt and roasted cumin powder is added in it.you can make the thick concentrate,and store that in the refrigerator for a week.It can also be made with fresh kokum fruit.
You can also try these delicious beverages-
- Hibiscus Tea
- Kesar Elaichi Sharbat
- Falsa Sharbat
- Taza Gulab Ka Sharbat
- Angoor ka Sharbat
- Kesariya Thandai Sharbat
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 12 Black Kokum
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1 cup Water / Paani
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras optional
- Few Ice cubes
- Soak kokum in a cup of warm water for 45 minutes.
- Grind the soaked kokum in the mixer(along with the water) and make a smooth paste.
- In a pan add sugar and water and boil for approx 5-8 minutes and make a syrup(thick like gulab jamun syrup)
- Let the syrup cool down completely.
- Add the kokum paste in the sugar syrup and mix well.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve.
- Now add black salt,roasted cumin powder and lemon juice in it.
- Now the kokum sharbat concentrate is ready.
- You can easily store this concentrate in the refrigerator for a week.
- How to serve-Add 3 cups of chilled water and ice cubes in the concentrate(can also add some mint leaves)
- Apply some lemon juice on the rim of the serving glass.
- Mix some sugar and roasted cumin powder and spread it in a plate.
- Dip the glass rim in this mixture..
- Gently pour the sharbat in the glass and serve.