Thandai Recipe – A very healthy and refreshing drink made with milk,nuts and whole spices
Thandai Recipe – Thandai is a classic Indian drink which is a must have on The Festival of colours Holi, it is made with lots of dry fruit mainly Badam and pistachio, melon seeds, Cardamom, fennel seeds, pepper corn and saffron. All the ingredients are healthy and as badam pista are warm in nature so to balance it fennel ,cardamom and gulkand are added into it.
It is a very healthy and refreshing drink during summer .Instead of using the fizzy and sugar loaded drink this healthy thandai is always good to have .Adults and Children all loves the taste of thandai .
This Thandai can made be fresh or you can make it as an concentrated form and add in milk when ever needed.I have also posted the recipe of making Thandai concentrate which is my family favorite and I always makes few bottles of this- Kesariya thandai concentrate every summer.
How to make Thandai, Kesariya Thandai
How to make kesar Badam Thandai
- 1.5 liter Whole Milk / Doodh ( Full Cream)
- 30 Almonds / Badam
- 20 Pistachio / Pista
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 2 tbsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 tbsp Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds /khaskhas (optional)
- 2 tbsp Gulkand/Rose petal preserve
- Saffron / Kesar few strands (soaked in milk)
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini (or according to taste)
- 1 tin Cream Nestle ( Optional )
- Soak almonds, pista, and poppy seeds in a bowl with 1/2 cup water for 2 hours
- Soak black peppers, fennel seeds and cardamom in seperate bowl. for 2-3 hours
- Boil the milk,add sugar and saffron and let it cool down completly then chill it.
- Grind black peppers,fennel and cardamom in the mixer,(make a fine paste) using 1 cup of water,then add 1 cup of milk and strain through a muslin cloth or with a fine strainer.through away the residue and keep the stained juice.
- Now grind the almond, pista, poppy seeds and gul kand in the mixer using 1 cup of milk,and keep aside.
- Take chilled milk in a big bowl,add both the juices (almond paste and pepper, fennel juice)and cream.
- Mix well, add ice cubes and serve chilled.
Note: 1-if you want to reduce the amount of nuts then substitute them with melon seeds and add few nuts only. 2-you can add 3 tbls of rose water instead of saffron and make gulab thandai.