Chandrakala-Sweet puffs stuffed with solidified milk and nuts -Indian style
Chandrakala is probably the most popular sweet in India, in variants. Every state has it’s own different version of making it.
To make chandrakala -Homemade pastry sheets are stuffed with mawa (dried whole milk), sugar and nuts, deep fried and soaked in sugar syrup.
Looking for some delicious desserts to make then check-
- Anjeer ki barfi
- Instant Badam Halwa
- Milk powder gulab jamun
- Pineapple Sandesh
- Coconut ladoo
- Lachcha Rabdi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Chandrakala /Stuffed sweet puffs
- 1.5 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 cup Dried solidified milk Khoya/Mawa
- 1 tbsp Desiccated Coconut-
- 2 tsp Castor sugar / Pisi hui chini
- 3 tbsp Chopped Mixed Nuts
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1 cup Water / Paani
- In a bowl take refined flour, and add the clarified butter (ghee).
- Add water and make a medium soft dough, cover and keep for 15 minutes.
- Take a non stick pan and add the solidified milk (mawa) in it and roast on a low flame till it becomes soft.
- Then add the dessicated coconut and chopped nuts, roast for a few seconds and then take them out in a bowl.
- Now add cardamom powder and saffron to the pan. When they become slightly warm add the castor sugar and mix well.
- Sugar syrup- In a pan add sugar and water, boil on medium heat and make a syrup of 2 string consistency
- Add the saffron and cardamon powder mixture (made in step 5) to the sugar syrup.
- Make small balls from the prepared dough and roll to make medium thick discs/pooris.
- Place the stuffing in the centre,cover with other pori and press to seal the edges(apply some water on the edges of both poori’s)
- Then fold the sides to make a pattern OR just press with a fork to give a pattern and seal the edges.
- Heat ghee(or oil) in a deep pan and deep fry the chandra kala on low heat till golden in colour.
- Remove on a paper napkin and prick once with a tooth pick in the center.
- when becom warm then dip in sugar syrup for 5 minutes and then take out in a plate.
- Garnish with silvar vark,saffron paste or chopped nuts.
- serve at room temperature.
2–Take 1 cup of milk powder add 1.5 tsp of ghee and mix,then add some milk to make a soft dough.
cover and cook in microwave for 30 seconds,rest for 5 minutes,mash and use as required.
3- Take the dough in a soft cotton cloth,tie it loosely and place it in a
closed steel box and steam in a pressure cooker(remove the whistle) or any steamer for about 5-8 minutes,wait for 5 minutes ,take out and mash or rub well before using.