Gajar Halwa- A popular and traditional Indian dessert made with carrot and milk.
Gajar halwa/Gajrela is a very delicious dessert /sweeet of North India especially popular in Punjab. To make Gajar ka halwa Grated carrots are cooked in milk and sugar and then pure ghee and nuts are added to give a nice taste and crunch,addition of khoya is optional as you can make this only with milk,or can add some condensed milk.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gajar Ka Halwa /Carrot Pudding
- 1 kg Carrot / Gajar
- 1 liter Full fat Milk
- 250 gms Sugar / Chini
- 1 cup Khoya/solidified milK
- 1/3 cup Cashew pieces /Kaju
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 10 Pistachio
- Scrape the carrots and grate them .
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottom pan,add the grated carrots and saute for a minute on medium heat.
- Now add milk and cook on medium heat till the moisture almost dries up .
- Add sugar and cook till it thickens again.
- Add grated mawa ,cashew pieces and cardamom powder.
- Mix and add 2-3 tbsp of ghee and stir fry for few seconds.
- Serve hot .
How To Make Instant Khoya
- Take 2 cups of full cream milk powder in a glass bowl, add 2 tbsp of
- add 2 tbsp of ghee or butter in it and mix well. Add some water and make a soft dough.
- Cover and microwave for 1 minute or steam in a closed container for 3-4 minutes. You may now mash or grate it and use it as required.
- it as r
2-In U.P we use a good amount of ghee to fry the carrots(approx. 1 cup) and that truly enhance the taste:)