Gajar ka Halwa- A popular and traditional Indian dessert made with carrot and milk.
Gajar ka halwa/Gajrela is a very delicious dessert /sweet of North India especially popular in Punjab. To make Gajar ka halwa Grated carrots are cooked in milk and sugar and then pure ghee and nuts are added to give a nice taste and crunch,addition of khoya is optional as you can make this only with milk,or can add some condensed milk.
For making gajar halwa try to choose medium thick carrots and full fat milk.after peeling the carrots can be grated using a thick grater, but it need quite some time to grate using grater. You can also make big pieces and shred it using a vegetable chopper ,this way it will be done very quickly. You can choose what ever way suits you.
Fist of all saute the grated carrots in ghee , it will enhance the flavor of the Gajar halwa. if you directly add the grated carrots in milk then it gives slight boiled taste. after sauteing for few minutes add full fat milk in the carrots and then cook on medium heat till it reduce to half. Now add sugar and cook it further till semi dry.
Now add crumbled or grated mawa (if using ) and mix well. add some ghee and cook for few minutes. Add cardamom powder. Gajra halwa is ready now. It will thicken further once it cool down so cook accordingly.
You can watch my video and subscribe to my youtube channel – Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gajar Ka Halwa /Gajrela| Carrot Pudding
- 2 kg Carrot / Gajar
- 1 liter Full fat Milk
- 400 gms Sugar / Chini
- 400 gm Khoya/solidified milK
- 1/3 cup Cashew pieces /Kaju
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1 cup Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 10 Pistachio
- Scrape the carrots and grate them .
- Heat a cup of ghee in a heavy bottom pan and shallow fry the cashews and them take out and keep aside.
- Now add the grated or shredded carrots in the pan and saute on medium heat till they are semi soft.
- Now add milk and cook on medium heat till the moisture almost dries up .
- Add sugar and cook till it thickens again.
- Add grated mawa ,cashew pieces and cardamom powder.
- Mix and add 2-3 tbsp of ghee and stir fry for few seconds.
- Serve hot .
How To Make Instant Khoya
- Take 2 cups of full cream milk powder in a glass bowl, add 2 tbsp of
- add 2 tbsp of ghee or butter in it and mix well. Add some water and make a soft dough.
- Cover and microwave for 1 minute or steam in a closed container for 3-4 minutes. You may now mash or grate it and use it as required.
2-In U.P we use a good amount of ghee to fry the carrots(approx. 1 cup) and that truly enhance the taste:)