Urad Daal khasta Kachori /Bedmi Poori /Spicy Lentil Puffs -Specialty from the state of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan
Urad daal khasta kachori -Kachoris with Pumpkins and Potatoes is to Uttar Pradesh, what Misal Pav is to Mumbai, Aloo Parathas and Lassi to Punjab and Sambhar and Idli to Chennai. The essential heavy and hearty breakfast!
Kachoris are mainly made with refined flour. A Spicy stuffing of lentils or vegetables are stuffed in the small portion of dough and rolled into medium thick disc and then deep fried in hot oil. Urad daal khasta kachori are very popular in the state of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
I have also posted –
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Urad Daal ki Khasta Kachori (Bedvi) / Deep fried Lentil Shells
For The Outer Covering
- 250 gms Refined Flour / Maida
- 2 tbsp Semolina / Sooji
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 50 ml Cooking Oil
For The Stuffing
- 1/2 cup White lentil/urad daal
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf crushed coarsely
- 2.5 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1/2 tsp Gram masala
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- Wash and soak urad daal for 4 hours, then drain and wash well.
- Take the refined flour and semolina in a bowl, add salt and refined oil, mix well. Add water to make a soft dough and keep aside.
- Coarsely grind the urad daal, fennel, chopped green chilies and ginger in a mixer .
- Take this daal mix in a bowl and add red chill powder, coriander powder, asafoetida, 1 t.s oil and mix well (it will look like the picture on the right).
- Add soda bi carbonate to this mixture just before you start making kachoris .*
- Take a small lemon sized ball of the dough, flatten it and stuff 1 .5 tsp mixture in it and seal the edges.
- Roll it a bit to make a medium thick kachori
- Heat oil in deep wide pan, Then add the kachoris to the oil, and turn down the flame to medium. Every few seconds, flip the kachoris so that they are cooked form both the sides. Fry till both sides are brown and crispy and the kachori is puffed completely.**
- When done drain on a paper napkin to absorb the extra oil.
- Serve hot with aloo ki sabzi and kaddu ki sabzi