Home made corn tortilla chips
Nacho chips is a popular snack from Mexican cuisine.Rolled Corn tortillas are sliced into wedges and then deep fried in hot oil till they turn crisp.The crisp nacho chips are often served with different dipping sauces like salsa, cream sauce and guacamole etc. but you can just sprinkle paprika and oregano and enjoy the crisp nacho chips.
Traditionally it is made with Mass Harina which is a fine maize flour which is then processed and treated further to make it more pliable and thus used to make perfect tortilla,but as I don’t have Mass Harina at home and neither have time to go out and search so I have added refined flour to add gluten and make it more pliable.
Homemade Tortilla Chips ,Nacho Chips
- 3/4 cup Maize Flour / Makki Ka Atta
- 1/2 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 1/3 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Oregano
- Salt / Namak
- Cooking Oil to deep fry
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Add Luke warm water to make a medium soft dough.
- Knead it for a minute.
- Make small size balls from the dough and keep aside.
- Roll them to make round size tortillas, thickness should be similar to a chapati or tortilla.
- Using a round lid or cutter make round tortillas
- Stack them together and cut into triangles
- Spread the triangles on a cloth or paper napkin for an hour. This helps to reduce the cooking time and chips turn more crisper in less time.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium heat
- Drain on a paper napkin to remove the excess oil.
- Sprinkle some oregano and paprika(optional)
- Serve with roasted tomato salsa , salsa verde, and guacamole