Gajar Aloo Ka Achar-A tangy pickle of potatoes, carrots, and green chilies
During summers we all prefer to have light healthy meals but as soon as winter arrives, we’re all tempted to have hot spicy food, stuffed parathas, and pooris – whether its breakfast or dinner – doesn’t matter. Stuffed parathas are a meal by itself you don’t really need many side dishes to serve with.
My mother makes some delectable and simple seasonal pickles during winters which goes very well with everything – be it parathas or with a simple meal of daal and rice. I love her Aloo gajar ka achar very much, which I am posting today. She makes this aloo gajar ka achar every winter and during weddings in our house (when the entire extended family comes together. This pickle is a constant hit with everyone).
There’s another version that I’ve posted earlier- Bhatia style – Aloo and mix vegetable pickle which I learned from a good friend , which is also a family favorite pickle as it is made with a mix of water and oil (less calories, but higher maintenance – needs refrigeration).
This Aloo gajar ka achar is quite easy and simple to make and too reuse – just cover the first batch with oil till the top layer and when the pickle finishes but still you have enough oil left in the jar then just add some salt ,turmeric ,chili powder and little mustard powder in some boiled carrots and potatoes and add in that oil and start using after 2 days.
You may also like-
- Gobhi Gajar Shalgum ka achar
- Methi aloo paratha
- Mirch ki tiporey
- Palak raita
- Stuffed Mooli parathas
- Matar Mushroom pulao
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gajar Aloo Ka Achar /Potato and Carrot Pickle
- 500 grams Potatoes / Aloo
- 500 grams Carrot / Gajar
- 60 grams Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 4 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai kuria powdered
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 cups Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Boil the potatoes,peel and chop into big pieces.
- Peel or scrape the carrots and chop into thick long slices.
- Wash,wipe,slit and make big pieces of green chilies
- Boil enough water in a pan and when it start boiling then add the chopped carrots and boil for about 3 minutes.
- Drain carrots and let them cool down completely.
- In a big bowl add the boiled potatoes ,carrots ,green chili pieces and all the spices and mix well.
- Fill the mixture in a glass jar and keep it covered for a day.
- Next day heat the mustard oil to the smoking point.
- Now let the oil cool down completely.
- Pour the oil in the pickle jar and close the lid of the jar.
- Keep the jar in sunlight for 3-4 days.
- It will be ready to use after 3-4 days.
- Stays good for minimum 1 month or till it last.
- Make big pieces of potato and carrot else it may become mushy.
- Don't over cook the potatoes and the carrots should not be cooked completely while boiling ,they should remain crisp and crunchy.
- The pickle should be covered with oil ,else keep it it refrigerated after a week.