Bengali kancha Aamer Chutney-special sweet and sour raw mango chutney
Bengali Kancha Amer Chutney- We all have already made variety of mango pickle till now and as the Monsoon is about to come in all States .Still raw mangoes are available in the market so I thought to try this popular Bengali Amer chutney which is a must have in each and every Bengali house hold.In North India we serve chutney along with the main course but Bengalis usually serve sweet chutnies at the end of the meal and prefer to eat with hands only.
This Kancha aamer chutney is slightly different then U.P style Aam ki Launji and Gujarati Aam ka chunda. In Amer chutni panch phoron is the special ingredient which gives a nice flavor to the chutney .I have used sugar but you can also use jaggary in it. Some people like to use peeled raw mangoes but some prefer to use it along with the peel , you can choose the way you like it , it will taste great both ways.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
bengali kancha aamer chutney
- 475 gms Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch optional
- 1 tsp Panch phoron* powdered
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash and peel the raw mango (you can use them with out peeling too)
- Slice into stripes or make big or medium size cubes as per your choice.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and let it coome to smoking point.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool down a bit.
- Switch on the heat and add mustard seeds in the oil and as soon as it start crackling add asafoetida,bay leaves and whole red chilies and stir.
- Now add turmric ,sliced raw mangoes and salt and saute for a minute.
- Add 1 cup of water ,cover the pan and let it cook till mango become soft but not mushy.
- Now add sugar and simmer till it thicken slightly.(you can adjust the thickness as par your choice)
- Add the ground panch phoron masala and mix.
- Store in a sterilized glass jar when it cool down completely.
- Serving suggestions - serve with any snack or as an acccompaniment with main course meal, goes well with rice and roti both.