Bendakaya Pulusu- A delicious and tangy okra curry from Southern India
Bendakaya Pulusu is a very popular okra curry from Andhra Pradesh. Bendakaya is a telugu word for Okra and pulusu means stew .Bendakaya pulsu is basically a sweet and sour medium thick curry which is usually served with steamed rice.It is quite simple and easy to make and taste so delicious.
In Northern India we often make dry curry with bhindi like- Bhindi masala or Crispy fried bhindi , Stuffed bhindi Sambhariya or some times Bhindi Raita but rarely makes okra in thin watery curry so when I first heard about this pulusu I was little skeptical about the taste but when I made and tasted it I loved it so much that I repeated it the next week .
The fresh taste of tomato and curry leaves combines so well with fenugreek ,tangy tamarind and jaggary. So do try this pulusu to add some variety in your routine okra dishes. Bendakaya pulusu and steamed rice is truly a comfort soul food.
Do try these delicious yogurt recipes-
- Dahi ki arbi
- Lauki ka raita
- Yellow pumpkin raita
- Dahi Aloo Chaat
- Kashmiri dahi baigan
- Bhindi ka Raita
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 225 gms okra /bhindi
- 1 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Tamarind / Imli Paste
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Jaggary / Gud
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- wash and chop okra in about 1.5 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds,dry red chili ,curry leaves and asafoetida and saute.
- When mustard start crackling then add the chopped green chilies and okra pieces and saute for 2-3 minutes till okra is half done and got a nice brown colour
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and salt and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, 2.5 cup warm water, chili powder, turmeric, jaggary and tamarind and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for about 7-8 minutes or till okra get cooked and the gravy thickens slightly.
- Add chopped coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with steamed rice/jeera rice and roti.