Mango Phirni- A delicious Indian pudding made with milk ,rice and mango pulp.
Mango phirni is a delicious version of popular North Indian classic dessert -Phirni. It is a very delicious summer pudding to try when we get very nice mangoes at reasonable price. There are so many recipes to make with mangoes and phirni is among the top favourite recipe.
Making phirni is quite easy. It is a easier version of kheer . The traditional method of making kheer takes quite some time i.e 2-3 hours . But this phirni is quicker and easier then making kheer and taste equally delicious.
For making phirni choose good quality ripe mangoes , don’t choose one which are slight unripe as the sour taste will ruin the taste of phirni and can also curdle due to it. So choose sweet and bright colour mangoes, I prefer using Alphonso mangoes to make phirni. If fresh mangoes are not available then you can also use canned mango pulp to make this phirni.
You can use any rice , I have used short grain rice to make it , soak the rice for at least 20 minutes and then grind with little water and make like fine semolina.
You can use rice flour but then the result will not be as good . Rice flour make it like a smooth paste so avoid using rice flour and make it with soaked and ground rice instead.
How To Make Mango Phirni-
Soak rice and then grind to make a coarse paste like fine semolina. Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan for 10 minutes . Now add the rice paste in the milk and stir well to avoid any lumps. let it cook on low heat for 15 minutes so the rice get cooked properly. Add sugar as per taste and then cook for 2-3 minutes so sugar get dissolve completely.
You can add saffron ,cardamom and nuts of your choice or make it simple .
Let the phirni cool down completely at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator . Now peel 3 mangoes and make a puree in a blender . When phirni cool down completely then mix the mnago pulp in it and stir well to mix .
You can set or serve phirni in individual earthen bowls for the authentic touch or set in any bowl of your choice
Refrigerate it for few hours and then serve chilled . When you want to serve then add few chopped mango slices , some chopped pistachio and few dried rose petals or almond slices on top of phirni.
You can view the video version of this recipe on my youtube channel –
here’s the link to recipe video:
You can also check these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Mango Phirni , Aam Ki Phirni
- 1 liter Full fat Milk
- 1/4 cup Rice/chawal 50 gms
- 1/3 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1.5 cup Mango puree
- 1 Ripe Mango / Aam chopped
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- Pinch Saffron / Kesar optional
- 10 Pistachio / Pista
- 10 Almonds / Badam
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes
- Drain the water and grind with few tbsp of water and make a coarse paste.
- In a heavy bottom deep pan add the milk and let it come to a boil and then simmer the flame and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Now add the rice paste in it and mix well.
- Cook again for at least 15 -20 minutes so the rice get cooked completely, keep stirring in between else it may stick at the bottom of the pan.
- Now add sugar and saffron mix and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now switch off the heat and let the phirni cool down completely.
- Peel and hop mangoes and grind in a blender to make into a smooth pulp
- When phirni cool down completely then add the mango pulp and cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Keep refrigerated for few hours before serving.
- Garnish --Add few chopped mango pieces, some sliced pistachio ,dried rose petals or almond slices on top to garnish.
- Serving suggestion- Serve chilled in small earthern bowls for the authentic touch.