Turai Moong Daal – A very healthy and light to digest summer special curry of ridge gourd and yellow lentil.
Turai moong daal ki sabji is very healthy and easy to make . Turai/ Gilki is a summer special vegetable so I combined it with yellow lentil and fresh herbs and spices only.
This turai sabji is very light and smooth in texture. Many people don’t like eating turai but when you combine turai with some other vegetable or lentil the taste enhances. Addition of moong daal makes this curry very light , creamy and comforting.
Turai/ Turiya is used in almost all the Indian states with different names-gilki/ tori/Jhinga/Peere/turia/ Hirekayi/ Peechinga /dodka/ Sponge Gourd / Ridge Gourd etc.
This turai Moong Daal sabji / Turia Mug ni Daal is best served with hot ghee wali chapati and some dry aloo sabji on side. You can also enjoy it with hot steamed rice with a tsp of hot ghee on top. Lauki / Turai/ Tinda are best cooked with minimum spices and oil to get that mild flavor suited for summers.
I have made this Turiya Mag Ni Dal with some gravy but if you want to make it dry then instead of using pressure cooker cook it in a pan or kadhai. Turai itself releases quite a lot of water while cooking so no need to add more water in it , I just sprinkled 2 tbsp of water only but if you want more gravy then add water accordingly.
You can also check these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Turai Moong Daal Sabji
- 1 kg Sponge gourd / Ridge Gourd /Turai /Gilki
- 1/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 1 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder optional
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Green Chilies / Hari Mirch chopped
- Wash and peel the turai/ sponge gourd and chop into small cubes
- Wash and soak the moong daal in enough water for approx. 15 minutes
- Heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker and add cumin in medium hot ghee.
- Now add asafoetida, chopped green chilies and curry leaves in the tempering.
- Add turmeric and chopped turai in the cooker and stir to mix.
- Drain the water from the soaked moong daal and add in the cooker , also add the chopped tomatoes
- Now add salt, coriander powder and kashmiri chili powder and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup water and mix.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure cool down then open the cooker.
- Give it a boil on high heat if you want to reduce the water in the curry.
- Switch off the heat and add chopped fresh coriander and lemon juice in the curry.
- Stir to mix and serve with roti, paratha or steamed rice.
- Add a spoon of ghee on top while serving to enhance the taste.(optional )