Oil Free Amla Pickle- A very healthy and easy to make Oil Free Indian gooseberry pickle
Oil Free Amla Pickle is my favourite pickle to make during winter season . During winter we easily get good quality amlas at very reasonable price. There are so many recipes to make with amla’s, we can make sabji, pickle, murabba, candy,mukhwas and many more preserve with amla’s.
I usually make big batches of amla candy and pickles to use through out the year. Amla pickle is made in oil and athela method which is oil free. Amla athela pickle in made by 2 methods – some prefer to add raw amla in boiling water and keep it for 1-2 week so the amla softens gradually. The second athela amla method is to boil amla and add in brine solution , this way amla can be consumed from the next day.
You can choose which ever way suits you. I have shared a simple brine solution wala athela amla before and today I am sharing a different spicy version of amla pickle recipe, which is my favourite now.
I always add some ginger slices , green chilies , carrots and fresh turmeric with amla in this oil free amla pickle but its optional , you can add whatever suits you or can make with only amla’s. Addition of mustard seeds should not be skipped as this gives a nice tanginess to the pickle and due to the sourness of it the amla pickle will not taste tart .
You can also check these recipes-
- Methi dana launji
- Carrot Radish Pickle
- Sarson ka Saag
- Amla ka Achar
- Saunth Gur Ki Goli
- Makki Aloo Paratha
you can check my video of this recipe here-
Oil Free Amla Pickle
- 500 gm Indian Gooseberry /amla
- 5 big Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 2 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 2 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- 1.5 tbsp Split Mustard seeds/Rai kuria
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Wash amla and wipe them well. (Try to choose big size spot less amla's if possible)
- Wash and slit the green chilies, peel and slice the ginger.
- Scrape the fresh turmeric and slice thinly.
- In a pan boil 3 glasses of water.
- Add 2.5 tbsp salt, turmeric (if you are adding fresh turmeric in the pickle then skip using powdered turmeric)
- Now add the amlas in the boiling water.
- Let them cook till you see cracks on the amla surface. amla should be cooked well but avoid over boiling them.
- Switch off the heat now.
- Remove the amlas from the hot water else they may over cook if kept in the hot water.
- When the amla's come to room temperature then press them slightly and remove the seeds and separate the segments or keep them whole.
- Now add green chili slices, ginger slices,1/2 tsp black salt, chili powder, asafoetida, rai kuria, chili flakes and 1 tbsp oil in the lukewarm water.
- Add amlas in the water now, if you feel water is less then boil some more water and add in this pickle
- Now fill this pickle in a glass jar and let it mature for 4 days then start using it.
- Keep it refrigerated after 4 days.
- It will easily remains fresh for 4-5 months in the refrigerator.
- You can also consume the pickle water as kanji.
- Enjoy your oil free amla pickle with paratha, daal chawal or khichdi