Chutney ke Aloo- A tangy snack made with boiled potatoes in tangy spicy mint coriander sauce – street food from Kanpur
Chutney ke aloo is an easy and very popular snack from Uttar Pradesh specially in Kanpur and Lucknow. It is sold as a street food in my Home town kanpur and also popular as dhaniye ke aloo .
This is a very quick and easy to make recipe . In kanpur this is made with baby potatoes. During winter we easily get baby potatoes but if baby potatoes are not in season then you can use regular potatoes and chop them into cubes.
The main taste of these chutney wale aloo is from the super spicy and tangy green chutney , which is the highlight of this chaat. This chutney is made spicier then the regular chutney we make at home. The chutney ke aloo sold in Kanpur are very spicy and tangy.
The base of this chutney is same like the regular green coriander, mint , green chilies, cumin, asafoetida but for sourness the street vendors prefer to use kaitha/ wood apple . Kaitha gives a nice sourness as well makes the chutney creamy and thick which easily stick on the potatoes. If you don’t get kaitha then you can use mango powder, raw mangoes, lemon juice or what ever is easily available for tanginess ,but then add few boiled potatoes cubes in the chutney for the creamy thick texture.
I have already posted the recipe of making kaitha chutney few days back on my blog, you can check it.
Make spicy tangy green chutney and then add boiled peeled potatoes in it and mix . While serving squeeze some lemon juice on top and garnish with some grated radish (optional ) and enjoy dhaniya ke aloo.
you can also check-
Chutney Ke Aloo/ Dhaniye ke Aloo
- 500 gm Baby Potatoes / Chhote Aloo
- 3 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mint / Hara Pudina
- 6 hot Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Raw kaitha/ kavith/ wood apple check notes
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- Wash the potatoes and boil in a cooker or pan till become soft, add some salt in the boiling water.
- When the potatoes cool down then peel them and cut into halves.
- Remove the hard thick stems of coriander and pluck the mint leaves and wash 2-3 times with enough water.
- Roughly chop the dhaniya and mint leaves.
- Remove the stalk of chilies and then wash and chop roughly, peel and chop ginger.
- Break open the kaith by hitting with some hard object and then scoop out the kaith pulp from the shell.
- In the blender jar add all the greens, kaitha pulp and the spices , add little water an grind to make a smooth paste.
- Take out the chutney in a bowl
- Add the potato pieces in the chutney and mix.
- Taste it and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- While serving squeeze some lemon juice on top and sprinkle some black salt and roasted cumin powder on top . (garnish with some grated radish if available)
- Enjoy dhaniye ke aloo chaat !