Tomato Ketchup- a delicious tangy homemade tomato sauce without artificial colour and preservatives
Tomato sauce or ketchup is a condiment which is popular worldwide to serve with most of the snacks, sandwiches ,pizzas etc. The taste of this tangy sauce is loved by the people of all age groups, kids and adults all love the tangy taste of it.
There are so many brands selling tomato ketchup in the market but still I don’t like the taste of most of them. The first reason is that most of them contain onion and garlic . Few I got without onion garlic but they are either very sweet or are very acidic in taste so I decided to make my own ketchup at home.
The first batch turn amazing and everyone loved the taste of this homemade tomato ketchup and since then I am making it regularly . From the same recipe I made 2 batches – one normal tomato ketchup and other one tomato chili sauce with addition of some fiery thai chilies and both taste awesome, much better than the store bought sauce ones.
Benefit of making homemade tomato sauce is that you can adjust the flavours as per your preference. This homemade sauce is artificial colour and preservative free and the ones available in the market are loaded with artificial colour and flavours and not suitable for kids so home made one is obviously good for health too.
If you want to make a big batch then you can add the preservative sodium benzoate to prolong the shelf life and can store at room temperature. But without adding this preservative you can store the sauce in the refrigerator for 4 months.
You can serve this tangy delicious tomato ketchup with pakora, samosa, cutlets, french fries, patties or any snack of your choice.
You can also check these recipes-
you can check my youtube ketchup video-
Tomato Sauce I Tomato Chili Sauce
- 1.5 kg Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 10 Thai bird eye chili
- 2 thick red chilies
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1.5 cup White Vinegar / Sirka
- 1/2 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sodium benzoate optional
- wash the tomatoes , core them and chop them roughly.
- Wash and roughly chop the fresh red chilies and ginger.
- Add them in the pressure cooker and add 1.5 cup water and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat
- If you are making tomato sauce then no need to add thai bird eye chilies , just add tomatoes, thick fresh red chili and ginger But if you want to make tomato chili sauce then add thai bird eye chili or any spicy red chili.
- Now let it cool down and then make a fine pure of the boiled mixture .
- Strain the puree with a fine sieve.
- Add the stained puree in a heavy bottom pan , when it start boiling then add 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder,1/2 cup brown sugar or normal sugar.
- Now cook it on medium heat and keep stirring it in between, else it may stick to the bottom.
- When it become half in volume then add 1.5 cup white vinegar and 1 tsp pepper powder and mix well.
- Now lower the heat and cook it further and keep stirring it at this stage.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Take 2 tbsp vinegar in a bowl and add 1 tsp corn flour in it and add this mixture in the boiling sauce and stir well to mix.
- It gives a nice luster and smooth texture to the sauce.
- Cook it further for 2-3 minutes now.
- Do the plate taste.- take 1 tbsp sauce on a plate , tilt the plate and check if some water is seperating from the sauce or not.
- If water is not separating from the pulp then it is ready.If water is separating then cook for few more minutes.
- The sauce will thicken further once it is cooled completely
- Switch off the heat and let it cool down completely.
- Store in a sterilized glass bottle and refrigerate.
- (You can add 1/4 tsp sodium benzoate mixed in 1 tsp hot water and add at last stage if making a large batch )