Aloe vera ki sabzi -A very healthy and nutritious stir fry made with Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is also known as – Gwarpatha, Kwar gandal and Ghrit Kumari. The Aloe Vera plant has many cosmetic and medicinal properties.
It is full of antibiotics which will fight off infections. It cures ulcers,prevents constipation, cures bacterial infections inside the stomach,reduces cholesterol, regulates blood sugar, soothens joint inflammation especially arthritis related swelling and much more.
I had always heard of Aloe Vera being had in the form of a juice, or the gel being used as an ointment, so I tried making a aloe vera ki sabzi out of it, and I must say I was very surprised on how good the results turned out to be!
There are many types of aloe vera’s available, But all are not edible ,some are bitter in taste so not advisable to consume,sweet variety of aloevera is dark and bright in colour and have less thorns and have shiny transparent jel inside .
Use the sweet variety of aloevera to make this aloe vera ki subzi /curry(do taste aloe before making)
Do try these aloe vera recipes-
Aloe Vera sabzi / Gwarpatha Ki Subzi
- 350 grams Aloe Vera Leaves (4 cup chopped) *
- 3 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3/4 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1.5 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- Wash and peel the sides of aloe vera steam to remove the thorns.
- Chop into thin slices and pressure cook for 2 whistles with 1 glass of water.
- Wash with cold water( the water in which you have boiled the aloe vera can be used for making chappati dough )
- Heat oil in a pan then add cumin and asafotida.
- When seeds start crackling, add turmeric and boiled aloe vera and saute for one minute
- Now add curd ,raisins and all the spices and stir fry for approx.2 minutes
- Take out in a bowl and serve hot or cold.(around 2-3 tbls subzi at a time)
- Serving Suggestions - Serve with Roti, Rice or as a side dish.