Lucknawi daal- Pigeon peas cooked with milk and mild spices
Lucknawi daal is a very popular daal from Awadhi cuisine .It is very mild in taste and have a very distinct flavour. It is different from the routine daal recipes which we regularly makes. It is made with tuvar daal and milk is added in it so not much spices are used in it to give a very sondha flavour.
No tomato,ginger ,chili powder ,dhaniya powder is used in this Lucknawi daal. A very rich and mild flavoured daal with just few basic ingredients !It can be served with rice or any type of Indian bread. Lucknawi daal is a very simple and quick recipe which you will surely love to include in your menu.I often make this delicious daal with rice and every one loves it.
Love making daal then do try these delicious daal recipes-
- 2 cups Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 2 cups Whole Milk / Doodh
- 2 cups Water / Paani
- 1 tbsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash and soak tuvar daal in enough water for about 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook the soaked tuvar daal with chopped green chilies,turmeric and salt for 2-3 whistles on medium heat.
- Mix 2 cups of water with 2 cups of milk and add in the boiling daal.
- Cook the daal on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin in it.
- When cumin start to crackle then add asafoetida and whole red chilies in it.
- Now add the tempering in the boiling daal and remove from the flame.
- Add chopped fresh coriander and serve hot with rice ,roti or parathas .