Kamrakh ka Achar -A quick and easy seasonal winter pickle made with star fruit and few Indian spices.
Kamrakh ka achar- kamrakh/Carambola /Star fruit is a sweet and sour juicy fruit which when sliced resemble the shape of a star. Kamrakh is very rich in Vitamin C, antioxidants and Fiber and low in sodium, fat and acids.
This sour fruit is very good for polishing stained and rusted metal surfaces due to its acidic nature like tamarind and lemon juice.
Star fruit is mostly used for making salads, stir fries, pickles, chutney and relishes.This sweet,spicy and sour relish/Launji taste great with rice,chapati or can be served as a dip with any snack.
It can be used in salad,stir fry and curries .I loves the sweet and sour Kamrakh Mirch ki launji which pairs well with almost every thing.Kamrakh is also added in the traditional Radish and spinach curry which is a specialty from U.P – Sakra Saag and gives a nice tangy taste to Rajasthani Panchmel daal
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
kamrakh ka achar
- 6 Kamrakh/star fruit 225 GMS
- 6 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 3 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Split Mustard seeds/Rai kuria
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash kamrakh and then wipe with a cloth napkin.
- Slice into roundels,cubes or long slices as per your preference.
- Dry roast fennel ,mustard and fenugreek seeds and grind to make a coarse powder.
- Add all the spices in the sliced kamrakh and fill in a glass jar.
- Keep it covered for a day.
- Next day heat mustard oil in a pan til it start to smoke then let it come to room temperature.
- Now pour this oil in the pickle jar and keep it in sunlight for 3-4 days and start using after that.
- If you are making a big batch of the pickle then make sure to cover the pickle with oil till top layer.