Sitaphal Rabdi Recipe- a very delicious and flavorful dessert made with custard apple and reduced milk
Sitaphal rabdi offers a delightful twist to the traditional rabdi. The infusion of custard apple pulp elevates the flavor to new heights. Rabdi is a timeless Indian dessert traditionally prepared in an authentic manner. Taking shortcuts compromises the authentic texture and taste.
To make rabdi, full-fat milk is simmered in a wide, heavy-bottomed pan. It undergoes a slow cooking process, allowing the formation of malai (cream) on the surface, which is carefully scraped and collected along the pan’s edges continuously incorporating it into the thickened, reduced milk. In the final stage, sugar is added according to your preferred level of sweetness.
When preparing sitaphal rabdi, the process remains the same until the milk has reduced and thickened. Then, add sugar to your liking. Allow the rabdi to reach room temperature before mixing in the custard apple puree, refrigerating it for chilling before serving. The addition of nuts is optional. I have omitted cardamom powder to let the custard apple flavor shine in this rabdi. Adjust the sugar based on the custard apple’s/Sitaphal’s natural sweetness.
How to Extract Sitaphal Seeds and Incorporate Them into Rabdi:
To begin, use fully ripe custard apples for making this rabdi. Semi-ripe custard apples lack the desired sweetness and texture, so it’s crucial to use fully ripe ones. Carefully scoop out all the pulp from the shell. Take extra care to remove all the seeds from the pulp, as even a single seed can spoil the taste.
Removing the seeds from custard apples can be a laborious task. I’ve used a simple method to ease this process – place all the pulp in a vegetable chopper and pulse it slowly for a few minutes. You’ll notice that all the seeds are separated from the pulp. You can now easily pick out and discard the seeds. Finally, add the pulp to the rabdi.
You can also check these recipes
Sitaphal Rabdi I Custard Apple Dessert
- 2 liter Full fat Milk
- 2 big Custard apple/ Sitaphal
- 10 Almonds sliced
- 10 Pistachio / Pista
- 1/2 cup Sugar / Chini
- Grease the bottom of a heavy bottom pan with a tsp of ghee .Add milk and give it a boil on high heat then lower the heat and keep cooking.
- Keep cooking the milk till it reduced to half.
- keep collecting all the maai which will be forming on top to the sides of the pan.
- Now scrape all the malai from the sides and add in the reduced milk.
- Add sugar and give it a final boil and add the chopped nuts in it.
- Switch off the heat and let it come to room temperature.
How to remove the seeds from the pulp
- Open the sitaphal and scoop out all the pulp in a bowl.
- Take the pulp in a vegetable chopper and gently churn it for few minutes.
- All the seeds will be separated from the pulp in just few minutes. discard all the seeds from the chopper and keep the pulp.
- Now add the sitaphal pulp in the ready rabdi , mix and keep refrigerated to chill.
- Enjoy chilled sitaphal rabdi !
- you can also add saffron and cardamom powder .
- quantity of sugar can be adjusted as per your taste and the sweetness of sitaphal.