Shalgam Ka Achar- A healthy oil free probiotic gut friendly Turnip pickle
Shalgam ka achar/ paani wala achar is a very easy to make , delicious and very healthy recipe. IT is usually made during winter season. these pickled turnip are tangy and very delicious to eat as a pickle or side dish with your daal chawal, stuffed parathas etc. the tangy fermented can be used to drink like kanji which is gain very good for digestion.
Turnip is a very healthy vegetable. It is rich in nutrients and low in calories. Turnip is rich in Vitamin K , C and Calcium. It helps to improve immunity, is heart healthy ,good for liver and kidney health, protects against cancer, fights against bacteria and fungal infections and fights inflammation. So try to include turnip in your diet during season.
To make this Shalgam ka achar / paani wala achar use fresh turnips (which feels heavy as compared to their size ) peel and slice them into medium thick slices. Par boil them in water and then drain the water. Add salt, hing, rai kuria, turmeric and chili powder in water and add the sliced turnips in the water and keep covered for 3-4 days till the water become sour and then start using the pickle .
Also try these recipes-
Shalgam ka paani wala Achar
- 3 medium turnips
- 1 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Split Mustard seeds/Rai kuria crushed
- 1.5 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 14 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- few Green Chillies / Hari Mirch optional
- Wash and peel turnips and chop into medium thick cubes or slices .
- Boil enough water in a wide pan and add 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt in the water and when it started boiling then add the turnip slices and boil for 5 minutes or till they are almost done (don't over cook them )
- Drain when done and keep aside.
- Boil 2 liters of water and then let it cool down.
- Now add all the spices in the water and mix it well ,taste the water and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Now add the boiled turnip slices in the water, the water should cover the turnip slices.
- Fill the pickle in a sterilized glass jar and cover the lid and keep it at room temperatures for 4-5 days.
- keep shaking the jar once in a day , the pickle will become sour in 4- 6 days depending on the heat in the weather.
- Once the water become sour your pickle will be ready to use .
- After few days keep it refrigerated else it may become too sour.
- Enjoy your pickle with daal chawal, khichdi or stuffed parathas.