Aloo Shimla Mirch Curry- A delicious rustic potato and capsicum curry
Aloo Shimla Mirch curry is a delicious easy to make curry. It can be paired with roti and rice both. Capsicum is a vegetable which most of the people preferred . Though Capsicum is a winter vegetable but now all vegetables are available through out the season so we can make it often.
Usually I make a dry stir fry of potato and capsicum and my mom also makes it dry but some time back I tried this curry and it turn out so well and every one liked it very much. Since then I am making this curry more then the dry capsicum aloo version.
How To Make Aloo Shimla Mirch Curry-
Making Aloo shimla mirch Curry is simple. Just chop capsicum in cubes and potatoes in slight large cubes. Make puree of tomatoes or grind in a chopper. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin mustard seeds,asafoetida and green chilies.
Now add gram flour and saute till it turn golden in color ,gram flour/ besan is added to give body and thickness to the gravy and it also enhance the taste. Now add chopped or pureed tomatoes , salt and chili powder and saute till tomato become soft and start releasing some fat. Now add the remaining spices, ginger and the chopped vegetables and stir well to mix. Add water , mix and close the pressure cooker
Pressure cook on medium heat for 2-3 whistles . Open the cooker when it cool down completely , add fresh coriander and mix .Check If the potatoes are still not cooked then pressure cook for 1 more whistle s(pressure cooking time depends on the quality of potatoes as some take more or less time to cook).
You can serve this delicious curry with rice, roti ,Khichdi .
You Might also like-
Aloo Shimla Mirch Curry
- 500 gm Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch
- 750 gm Potatoes / Aloo
- 400 gm Tomatoes / Tamatar 3 medium
- 2 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango powder *
- 2 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2.5 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Wash and chop capsicum in medium size cubes
- Peel potato and cut into slightly big cubes.
- Chop tomato and grind with green chilies to make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds and when it start crackling add asafoetida and then add the gram flour.
- Start roasting it on low heat and keep stirring it till gram flour/ besan become nice golden colour and start giving a nice roasted aroma.
- Now add the tomato puree and all the spices and start stir frying till it start releasing some oil.
- Add chopped potato ,capsicum,ginger and mix well.
- Now add 1. 75 cup water and stir to mix.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on medium heat for 3 whistles or till its done.
- Open the cooker when cool down completely.
- Add chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with roti,paratha or rice