Shalgam ka bharta- Spicy Turnip Mash, simple and delicious mashed turnip- a Punjabi specialty
Shalgam ka Bharta- is a winter special vegetable ,mainly popular in North India specially in Punjab region. In my family we don’t use shalgam in our cooking . May be that time it was not available in our town or they don’t like the strong flavour of turnip.
I tasted shalgam ka bharta after moving to Dubai at my neighbor’s house who is a Punjabi lady .I quite liked the taste and flavor of turnip and start using it when ever I get good turnips in the market.
When you buy shalgam try to choose small and heavy turnips as light weight turnips are often old and dry from inside.
Turnip is a very healthy root vegetable fill of nutrients . It taste blend but easily soak up all the flavors it is cooked with and its leaves are also edible like the bulb . You can chop it and use to make stir fry or add with the turnips in the sabzi and curries.
Turnip is rich in calcium, potassium, sodium and magnesium,Vitamin c. Any body can consume Turnip as its very low in calories. It improves heart health as it helps to reduce cholesterol,High fiber aids in digestion. Helps to cure gastric problems, boost immune system and is Rich in calcium .
Turnip is also Packed with Omega 3 and Vitamin K so helps to fight with any inflammatory condition.
I tasted this few days back at my friends place and loved the simple and delicious recipe . Do try this shalgam bharta and give me your feed back !
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Shalgam Ka Bharta, Spicy Turnip Mash
- 700 gms Turnip / Shalgum 4 medium
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3 medium Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- Peel and wash turnip and Tthen chop into small cubes.
- Add the chopped turnip,1 tsp oil,1/2 tsp salt, red chili powder and 1/4 cup water and pressure cook on medium heat for 3-4 whistles or till turnip become soft.
- When the cooker cool down then open it and remove the excess water and mash the turnip with a laddle to make a puree.
- Heat oil in a pan and add 3 tbsp cooking oil and cumin seeds ,when cumin start crackling add asafoetida.
- Now add ginger, green chilies, 1/2 tsp salt and the chopped tomatoes.mix and cover the pan with a lid and cook till tomatoes become soft nd start releasing the oil from the sides.
- Now add the mashed turnips,sugar ,boiled or frozen peas, mango powder and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or cook till it thickens .
- Now add chopped coriander and serve hot with roti,paratha or rice.
- you can use lemon juice instead of mango powder.