Indian style flat bread stuffed with Daikon Radish
Even though these parathas can be enjoyed any time but the taste of hot parathas enjoyed during winters are magical .
Radish or Mooli paratha is a speciality of Punjab but now made and enjoyed all over India. To make Mooli ka paratha we need some pre preparation to make the stuffing,otherwise the moisture make it difficult to roll it perfectly.
So I today I am sharing 2 methods to make Mooli ka Paratha. The most important thing is to squeeze the water completly from the grated Radish or stir fry the grated and squeezed radish on high heat.These garma garam Mooli ka parathas are best enjoyed with a dallop of butter and a hot cup of tea.
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-15 min
- Wheat flour/aata -3 cup
- Gram flour /Besan – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Raddish/Mooli,grated -5 cup
- Radish leaves,chopped – 1/2 cup
- Green chilies,chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Chili powder/Lal mirch – 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder/Dhaniya powder – 1tsp
- Mango powder/Amchoor – 1tsp
- Carom seeds /ajwain -1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing -1/4 tsp
- Salt -to taste
- Cooking oil-to shallow fry
1-Scrape or peel the raddish and then grate it,apply 1/4 tsp salt and keep aside for 10 minutes.
2- Now squeeze the grated raddish to remove all the water.
3-Collect the water ,which you have squeezed from the raddish and keep aside (A)
4-Now finely chop the tender leaves of raddish and add in the grated raddish.(if you don’t have raddish leaves then can also use chopped coriander)
5-Mix green chilies, chili powder,coriander powder and mango powder in it and mix
a big and wide bowl add wheat flour,gram flour,2 tbsp of oil, ajwain, salt and asafoetida and mix well
7- Add the squeezed water (A) and knead
to make a soft dough,can add some plain water if needed.
8-Cover and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
9-Make equal size balls from the dough.
10-Dust a dough ball with wheat flour/atta and roll it slightly.
11-Now put about 1.5 tbsp of raddish mixture in the center .
12-Collect the rolled disc from all the sides and make a neat ball.
13-Dust with wheat flour and gently roll to make a paratha/disc of medium thickness.
14-Transfer the rolled paratha on a medium hot tawa/griddle and slightly cook from both the sides.
15-Now apply some oil and cook from both the sides by gently pressing with a spatula till golden and crisp.
16-Serve hot with butter, green chutney, tomato chutney or spinach raita..
If you are still facing difficulity in rolling the paratha perfectly,or if the raddish is too watery then can try this method-
- Follow the above recipe till step-4.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a heavy pan and add 1/4 tsp of ajwain/carom seeds in it.
- Then add chopped green chilies and the grated and squeezed raddish.
- Stir fry the raddish on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chili powder,coriander powder and mango powder and stir.
- Now spread this mixture in a big plate and let it cool down completely.
- Now add chopped green coriander or raddish leaves and mix.
- Now follow the above mentioned recipe from step 6-16