A sweet and tangy grated mango pickle- specialty from the Indian state Gujarat
Chunda is a very popular pickle from Gujarat.Its a very simple and easy to make yet taste very delicious.Mango chunda is a classic mango pickle which is made with just few ingredients. Traditionally chunda is made by sun cooking method thus no cooking is required to make it .But sun cooking do need some time so if you want to make and taste it quickly then you can also make it in a microwave or cook on gas stove.
Mango chunda /Khummar/ khaman can be served as a pickle/chutney or as a side dish. It goes very well with any fried snack, rice daal, Methi theplas, Moong daal parathas , Pudina parathas ,can also spread it inside Grilled potato sandwiches or vada pavs for a tangy twist in taste.Its a very delicious ,easy and versatile pickle.
To day I am sharing both methods-the gas stove method and the traditional sun cooking method. Sun cooking may take about a week to 10 days depending on the heat in the climate .If you are cooking on gas stove then use a heavy bottom pan and keep stirring to avoid it burning or sticking at the bottom of the pan.
I have added saffron and cardamom powder in the chunda but it is totally optional you can either add or just skip it depending on your choice.
Aam Ka Chunda Recipe, Mango Chunda
- 1.5 cup Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam grated
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder (optional)
- 12 thread Saffron / Kesar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Wash and wipe the raw mangoes(2 big size raw mangoes)
- Peel the mango skin and then grate them.
- Add salt and turmeric in the grated mango and mix well and then keep it covered for 2-3 hours.
- Now mix sugar in the grated mangoes and stir well and wait till the sugar releases water and almost dissolve.(keep it for minimum 4 hours or overnight)
- After this step you can make it in two ways either sun cook it or cook on stove top.
- Sun cooking Method-
- Fill the prepared mango and sugar mixture in a glass jar.
- Tie a muslin cloth on the mouth of the jar and keep in direct sun light.
- Daily stir the mixture once and keep the jar in sunlight for about 10 days or till the sugar syrup turn sticky like a syrup of one thread consistency.
- Now mix red chili powder and cumin powder and mix .
- Stove Top Method-
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add the prepared mixture in it.
- Cook on medium heat till it start bubbling and boiling.
- Reduce the heat ,add saffron and cook on low heat and keep stirring in between else it may stick and burn at the bottom.
- When it become like a one thread syrup then remove from the gas stove.
- Add chili powder and cumin powder.can also add cardamom powder.
- let it cool down completely then store in a sterilized glass jar.
- Easily stays well for a year or till it last.
- You can slightly adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste ,can add 1.25 cup to 1.5 cup of sugar in it.
- Can Use 2 tsps of kashmiri chili powder for a bright red colour of chunda .