Kadhai Mushroom- Stir fried Mushroom in tangy tomato sauce.
Kadhai mushroom is a popular Punjabi dish in most of the restaurant menu.It is quite easy to make and taste delicious. Kadhai Mushroom is quite similar to the recipe of kadai paneer.
You can also make it in a gravy form by adding little extra water but I prefer to have it this way ,slightly dry version.It goes well with rice , roti or kulchas.
I have used kashmiri chili powder for a dark and bright red colour instead of using fresh tomatoes you can also use tomato puree but I prefer fresh tomatoes as it gives a nice fresh taste to the curry.
Properly cleaning the mushrooms is important for making any preparations .You can either wash it or wipe it with moist cloth. But I roll mushrooms in dry flour/maida and then peel out the skin and the mushroom came out so white and clean
Addition of cream is optional though it gives a nice body and texture to the curry ,you can also add some milk or cashew paste .This curry is made in Indian style wok which is called kadhai in India hence the name kadhai mushroom.
You can also try these delicious recipes-
- 250 grams Button Mushroom
- 1 1/2 tbsp Refined Flour / Maida
- 400 grams Tomato / Tamatar
- 125 grams Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds/ sabut dhaniya
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Salt / Namak to taste
- 1/2 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh cream
- 3 1/2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes / Kuti Lal Mirch
- Take a bowl , add mushrooms and sprinkle refined flour over them. Mix gently and wait for a minute , then peel of the skin of the mushrooms and slice(or just wash and wipe with a cloth)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add sliced mushrooms and saute till all the water released from the mushrooms dries up.. Now take them out in a bowl
- In the pan add 1.5 tbsp oil and heat .Now add crushed coriander seeds,whole red chilies(broken in pieces) and chili flakes and stir for few seconds.
- Add ginger chili paste and saute and then add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Cook till tomato gets soft and pulpy.
- Now add kasoori methi, turmeric powder and chopped capsicum and mix.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook till it thickens slightly.
- Now add the mushrooms and cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add fresh cream and chopped fresh coriander and mix ,cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with rice or any Indian bread.