Aloo Moong Daal Bhajiya- Crisp and delicious Potato and yellow lentil fritters
Aloo Moong Daal Bhajiya- Pakoda /bhajiya or fritters are among the most favourite Indian snacks.They are easy to make and so versatile .You can make bhajiya or pakoda with any vegetable of your choice or can make with just gramflour or refined flour .There is no fix recipe of making perfect bhajiya,very easily adjusted according to individual taste and availability. But yes off course the most popular are the potato bhajiyas!
Moong Daal bhajiyas are very popular in Uttar Pradesh .There are so many variation of making yellow lentil fritters- Ram Ladoo is the most popular snack In Delhi and nearby areas is also made with Yellow lentil and this Moong Daal Bhajiya is also a easy and delicious fritter recipe.
The Recipe which I am posting today is a very crisp and delicious Aloo aur Moong daal pakodas which I had long back ,when I was going to Agra and There was a small bhajiya stall under a tamarind tree and along the side of the railway track . The pakodas sold by that bhajiya wala was so crisp and delicious that there was always a waiting line near his stall.
He also served a very tangy and tasty green chutney with the fritters made with the tender leaves and fresh tamarind from that same tamarind tree . So I tried to recreate the same Moong daal and aloo pakoda recipe .The trick is too grind the daal coarsely and make a thick batter so when we dip the potato slices in the batter ,it coat the slices partially then only we get the texture of soft but crisp pakodas.
I also love pakodas and often makes these-
Check Recipe Video on My Youtube Channel-
If You Like My recipes then do subscribe My Youtube channel – Maayeka for regular updates of my videos and recipes
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Aloo aur Moong Daal Bhajiya/ Daal ke Pakodey
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 3 Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 6 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya coarsely pounded
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch pounded coarsely
- To Deep fry Cooking Oil
- Wash and soak the yellow lentil/Moong daal for 3-4 hours.
- Wash and slice potatoes in long medium thick slices and keep in a bowl of water. (don't slice too thin or too thick, peeling potato is also optional)
- Drain the water from the soaked daal and wash it once with fresh water .
- Add the soaked daal, ginger and 3 chopped green chilies in the mixer jar.
- Add very little water and grind to make a coarse paste (don't make a fine paste )
- Now add the coarsely ground lentil paste in a bowl and add salt,asafoetida, pounded coriander seeds, crushed peppercorns ,cumin seeds, red chili powder and mix it well.
- Slice the remaining 4 green chilies lengthwise and add in the lentil paste along with the chopped coriander and mix.
- Now heat enough oil in a wide and deep pan.
- Dip the potato slices in the lentil paste and gently drop in the medium hot oil.
- Deep fry on medium flame till the fritters become golden and crisp.
- Don't overcrowd the pan, fry pakodas in batches till all the batter got finished.
- Drain the fried pakodas on a paper napkin to absorb the extra oil.
- Serve hot with green chutney,ketchup and a hot cup of tea.